Reentry--my 45

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, checked both LFSs and nary a rummynose to be seen. Supposedly at the one store they should get in a shipment next week. They did have some Ember Tetras that I got for my sad Edge tank that has nothing but snails in :( (the male shrimp did not survive the move last year, and then the population slowly dwindled away). I still would like to get more shrimp for it but it's just been way too hot for shipping and they're impossible to find in town, it seems. If I were an enterprising sort I'd set up a 40 breeder and just do a bog standard massive RCS colony and sell them to the shops.

I'd say you would have a good side business! How frustrating to not be able to really get a nice Cherry Shrimp!!!

I have a really awesome female cherry I will give you to start out! And I have another idea - will PM you later.

Maybe 3 Cherries, One rili one brownish red and this beauty!!! Free for you.

60074-albums14675-picture71439.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Autumn gave me an entire botanic gardens worth of new plants over the weekend, as well as the lovely shrimp so today was operation "Plant everything so at least it will live for now" :) I'm currently working on maybe doing a big rescape with new wood, so it'll probably all get moved again, but again, "for now." And for anyone else who's out there I also picked up a dozen rummynose tetras (actually 11 and one that is a different species that I don't know what it is). The tank looks so much more alive now, it's wonderful. I still haven't figured out how to post pictures via the app--they last for a day and then disappear unless I do it over the computer. So maybe tomorrow I'll get some pictures up, and more details.

Suffice it to say, Autumn, if you're ever over on this side of the mountains and you need anything, don't hesitate to ask! I certainly owe you!

Oh, and yes, I did my best to keep out rogue duckweed :)

Who knows how successfully I did it, but you gotta do what you can :)

Love the ramshorn snails - they came from a dear friend of mine who can grow Ramshorn snails like I've never seen before!

Also glad that you got the rummy nose tetras I have never had them before but they look great in a fish tank!

No, you don't owe me a thing!!! I had way too many plants and it was peace of mind that they could be used.

TMaier mentioned good uses for duckweed. I saw someone on YouTube making fish food out of it. All I can say is is that it looks good until it's just over takes everything. Then the die off causes huge mess. If you have some just in like a glass vase or something you can scoop it off periodically and then it grows back and it's kind of nice as it's at least trapped where you can get rid of it. But for now I'm done with small floating plants in my regular tanks, lol! Anyway I don't want to make fish food out of it!!!

Glad you are happy with everything and can't wait for the pics!

Full tank shot:

Nq0n3Wl.jpg

The plecos have of course knocked out most of the micro anubias that I wedged into crannies in the rocks. :facepalm:
So much java fern! I've never grown it before, so I'm excited to see how it does. And a big bolbitis fern! And crystalwort that I'm just floating for now! And the Rotala Butterfly (how were you growing it, Autumn? I'm curious to see how it will do in my medium light no CO2 tank). There were a few baby water lettuce plants! Some tiny hydrocotyle--I can't remember what kind you said it was. Japan? And some more wisteria to build out my floaters! And Subwassertang!

And here's a link to the post in the invertebrates forum with a picture of one of Autumn's shrimp--super-duper red!

And then, here's a closeup of the mystery tetra:
4mAWrCO.jpg

The one in the bottom left corner. Almost looks like a rummynose, but no red, and no white stripes on the tail, just a black spot. Seems to be perfectly happy running with the rummynose posse.

Bought some Bucephalandra from Petschmo. Wasn't that cheap, but I got a goodly chunk of it.

ziYcVq4.jpg

I am planning on putting it into the Edge shimptank but I wanted to experiment with superglue and am playing it safe but putting it into the bigger tank for now (the solution to pollution is dilution, as they used to say about nuclear waste!)

It's just "Bucephalandra sp. green" so I don't know how wacky it will wind up being once it gets used to being submerged, but I like my anubias so much, I've been wanting to try buce too!

bIuUnmW.jpg

Looks like it's wearing a hat! These guys are great :)

Soo cute!!!

Bought some Bucephalandra from Petschmo. Wasn't that cheap, but I got a goodly chunk of it.

ziYcVq4.jpg

I am planning on putting it into the Edge shimptank but I wanted to experiment with superglue and am playing it safe but putting it into the bigger tank for now (the solution to pollution is dilution, as they used to say about nuclear waste!)

It's just "Bucephalandra sp. green" so I don't know how wacky it will wind up being once it gets used to being submerged, but I like my anubias so much, I've been wanting to try buce too!

Those look good! This was from 50 Shades of Buce with Ghazanfar Ghori! at the Aquatic Gardeners Convention 2017

Ths isn't the full presentation for the Buces. But a portion. One of the things from the presentation is about how the rainy and dry season affects them, they grow in the areas when it is dry in and near streams and waterways, when the rainy season hits it immediately over flows them and they will be submerged. So perhaps they will hardly have any issues.

I've just heard that because of the seasonal aspect, and since they're generally cultivated above water, when you transfer them to be submersed they might do a bit of a melt off like crypts or something before they regain their footing so to speak. I'll definitely look at that video though!

Sounds good! Mine only have a few, but they are tough. My mini Catherine Buce start from the convention survived through a period of being lost in their little bags while the other 2 died from the incident. :eek:

Moderately slow. I haven't given them any ferts or special light. Killed the 2 starts -Brownie Blue, and Narcissus Blue :( by losing them behing a table plant cups, they dried out.

BDeVU5A.jpg

I really like the markings on this little guy. It's the smallest one of the 3 Bushynose Plecos I've got. The store I bought them from breeds them and I gather it's a cross between an albino and a regular BN. Most of the time he's just brown but when there's food in the water he gets this dark brown and white patterning. Pretty fun :)

Back
Top Bottom