Refinishing acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FinsandFeathers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
With the 400 gallon tank nearly set up, and almost ready to fill (the actual process will take place this coming Sunday, when I can be sure of having plenty of help), the wife has decided that we're going to refinish some of our smaller, older tanks one at a time. We've watched several youtube videos on the subject, as we've never tried refinishing one before, and several advise to use a product called "Plastix" as a polishing agent, after sanding. What none of them say is how to remove the chemical residue after polishing. I don't want the chemicals inside my tanks to poison fish. Has anyone used this product before? If so, do you have any advice as to how to remove it completely when finished?
Thanks

Not really. One site said to use rubbing alcohol to neutralize other chemicals, but that doesn't really make much sense.
I think I'm just going to wash it a couple times with a mild detergent in water, then rinse it several times with plain water.

I would just use some Novus polish compound and wash it out with soapy water.

I use the Novus steps 3-2-1 on outside and steps 3-2 on inside after sanding. I just wipe really well after. No problems with tank/water after. You can't see anything smaller than 1500-2000 sandpaper lines inside when tank is full.

I agree that Novus acrylic refinishing compound is outstanding. Once done, wipe the acrylic really well, then fill the tank and empty it a few times, again wiping the acrylic. Never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom