Refuge lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milomlo

Aquarium Advice Regular
An I run my refuge lighting the same as my tank instead of reverse lighting? Any pros/cons??

milomlo said:
An I run my refuge lighting the same as my tank instead of reverse lighting? Any pros/cons??

The pros of running them on opposite cycles is greater ph stability through night and day fluctuations.

My problem is the light is pretty bright and it's a HOB refuge/skimmer so the light shines in my bedroom and keeps me awake :( I know stupid, but that's it LOL so currently I run my refuge lighting during the day when my tank is on about 12 hours total.

Can you tape black construction paper or wrap with s towel, etc to block the light? If you could make something so you can run the fuge light on opposite photo period of your DT it would help keep your ph more stable.

The light is on top as u can see. I hope the pix is ok

Attachments

• image-1061634204.jpg
    image-1061634204.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 69
I made a shroud for mine, but it is under the stand. I used a 6" PVC coupling and some angle brackets so the light would be focused on my fuge and not all over the sump. Maybe you could make a cone shaped shroud (like a lampshade) so at least you don't see the light bulb. If not, having your refuge light on during the DT light period is better than no refugium at all.

Back
Top Bottom