refugium lighting period?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I used a regular desk light from home depot and one of the light that come with a 10gal kit.
its a 20" floure 120volt 19watt for the aquarium light.
the desk lighting doesn't said how many watt but its 120volt and 60 hz yellow light.

should I run the light 24/7 or do a half/half everyday?
and will the lighting be enough for a refugium or I need stronger lighting?

refu have 9mangroves and a tennis ball size chaeto

i dont have a ref, but I have done alot of reading up on specs for my upgrade which will have a sump/ref and i could not find anything wrong with 24/7. it keeps everything growing good and keeps the algae from "crashing" i have also read about doing revers daylight also but ill go with 24/7 for mine for a month or two and then see if i change it if it makes a difference, it really is up to you but 24/7 seems to be good

A lot of people have different opinions on this one. Some run theirs 24/7 with no adverse affects, with the belief that they get better results that way, others run them on what's called a reverse cycle, wherein when the DT lights are on, the fuge is off, and vice-versa.

Personally, I do the reverse cycle. My reason? Just cuz that's what I chose. haha

haha thanks guy
since I have 2 lights for different plants
I will do reverse on my mangrove
and probably try 24/7 on my chaeto.

(if my snails need darker place, they will know where to go since most of them already running in to my skimmer/return section LOL)

I run my refuge lights 24/7. I run grape calerpa in there and to keep it from going sexual I need the 24/7 and constant prunning. The reverse cycle is used by alot of folks esp. those using cheato.

One main reason I see reefers use opposite lighting cycles is to help control PH swing. With out any details on how large your tank and fuge are, its hard to say that you be able to see any benefit from a reverse cycle. If I am reading correctly, you are using a fluoro and a desk light (incandescent?). Why bother with the desk light if you have a fluoro fixture?

One main reason I see reefers use opposite lighting cycles is to help control PH swing. With out any details on how large your tank and fuge are, its hard to say that you be able to see any benefit from a reverse cycle. If I am reading correctly, you are using a fluoro and a desk light (incandescent?). Why bother with the desk light if you have a fluoro fixture?

cuz i m afraid the fluoro is not strong enough
only 19watt

oh and my DT is 46gal sump 20gal

Back
Top Bottom