Refugium lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bioteacher

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am currently shopping for supplies to build a new sump and I am adding a refuge for the first time. I am hoping some Chaeto will reduce nitrates and outcompete the algae that loves to grow on my glass. Going with a 40 gal breeder for the sump. I've picked out sock prefilters, and a new return pump, and now I am looking for a good light for the fuge. Does anyone have any recommendations on products they like, or ones to avoid?

I just use one of those standard clip on work lights that you can get at any hardware store and put in a screw in CFL. I then mounted an L bracket on the back of the stand, and clip the light to it. It has worked extremely well for growing chaeto. My chaeto has increased in size by about 5X in 3 or so months.

Here it is mounted over the sump in the stand:
19738-albums9044-picture34930.jpg

Granted, I am running a 20gal for a sump... so you might need a slightly larger lamp than I have, but I think I bought the smallest variety available. They come in larger sizes. It all depends on the size of your fuge area though.

Anyway, I am sure there are slicker looking fixtures out there, but at about $5 bucks, it has worked like a champ. If only the rest of the build had been that cheap :)

Back
Top Bottom