Refugium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have something in my refugium that looks tiny shrimp but more rounded in shape. In my refugium, I have sand, LR, microalgae. Should I do anything about those little critters?

The sound like pods..a better description or picture would.be needed to properly ID but for the most part they are great food for you tank and a good part of a CUC

Sound like Isopods, I have some in my fuge as well. Just another part of the micro fauna in a saltwater tank. I've never had any problems with them, although I've read that certain types of adults, can be parasitic to fish. Actually latch on like a lamprey and bore a hole. Many fish will eat the smaller ones. Idk if removing them is even possible or necessary, I think the parasitic type are pretty rare, hope this helps and good luck

No you don't have to, they will trickle into the main system, and become food. A refuge reduces nitrates and phosphates, but it's also a great source of live foods, some fish will only eat live copepods.

Back
Top Bottom