Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm planning in replacing my sump with a new one since my DIY job was a disaster.

I found a good price on EBay that includes a refugium chamber and I wanted to get opinions on the subject.

I did it before with my own design and the baffles broke, the sand from the DSB got everywhere and I have no clue how effective it was.

I'd like to discuss the merits of a DSB setup as well as the alternatives.

I'm all ears!

Aqueon and eshopps makes some good sumps, little pricy but worth it. What size tank do you have? What kind of live stock?

Thanks Frankie. I remember him from a while ago and I checked out some vids yesterday. Got some good info.

I came up with a design for my sump/refugium and I wanted to get input from the group. I won't be doing a DSB, just miracle mud and chaeto - maybe culerpa with a 24/7 light schedule.

Does anyone see any problems with the plan?

Attachments

• sump design.pdf
    29.6 KB · Views: 91
I take it your skimmer is going in chamber 1? And that's why it is so big? Put a filter sock in there. And then in your bubble trap put a filter pad to catch any debris

Yes, that's the skimmer chamber and the plan has a place for a filter sock as well as a sponge or something in chamber 3 to break up the bubbles.

Anyway you could make chamber 1 smaller and refugium bigger? Or will that take away from skimmer space?

Not really. The skimmer footprint is 9.5 x 15". I could place it diagonally, but that may only get me an inch or two.

You should be good! Mine is not that big but here is my setup. I built like a acrylic box for my water to drain Into and have a filter sock with carbon and some mix in it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388963911.853411.jpg

Cool. No skimmer in your sump. I'm following some of nysteelo's ideas and another design with some of my own thoughts. I'm leaning towards getting a custom acrylic done because I screwed up the glass one and have no acrylic experience.

My skimmer is in my main tank. It's sleek ad skim and just looks like an overflow in the corner

Oh dang talk about bad luck. Sorry about that! Tough situation. Because you be without a sump for like a week with repairs .

Not bad luck, poor craftsmanship on my part. Used acrylic that was too thin. It's all good. You live and you learn.

Back
Top Bottom