Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering what you guys thought about putting a HOB refugium on it? Which one should I look at? Also I plan on it to be a reef tank

Assuming you want to do a HOB to avoid drilling the tank? If that is the case I'd look into making a PVC overflow and running a refugium in a small tank underneath with a return pump. Look up how to make one on YouTube, never done one personally but plan on building one this week after seeing it done a few times now. Just make sure if you do build one to use some sort of strainer on the intake in your tank to avoid snails getting into your pipes, I've read a few horror stories.

D

So you would advise against using the HOB refugium especially for a small 20 gallon tank?

Assuming you were planning on using one if the large ac filters for this hob fuge? IMO you'd be better off just running media in it, check out inTank media baskets they have great mods for the ac70 and ac110. Fuges that small don't do much IMO, I think we need very large fuges to get the amount if nutrient export we think they give us. Diligent water change schedule and a good skimmer are best methods IMO

So you would advise against using the HOB refugium especially for a small 20 gallon tank?

The tank I'm currently cycling is a 20g and I decided against a HOB refugium. My main reason was price and effectiveness. I can build one in a 10g that will hold my heater, more macroalgae, live sand, live rock, and give microfauna a larger safe haven for around $50, where as a HOB I see starting at around $90 for one with any real water volume. Just my opinion and reasoning, either way I think a refugium will help stabilize my system because of increased water volume and a reverse light schedule to help fight pH swings in the night time.

D

What size of a sump would work for a 20 gallon tank

Do you think a refugium would even be necessary for a reef tank that small?

What size of a sump would work for a 20 gallon tank

A 10 gallon sump would work wo sets. Also, make it into a refugium, the macro algae will make your life easy.

Do you think a refugium would even be necessary for a reef tank that small?

necessary? No. But it will make your life soo.much easier. Since I added a 10g refugium on my 20g reef it has turned into a very healthy system and became soo much easier to care for.

What do you recommend putting in the refugium

sorry for hi-jacking your thread but I'm in the process of building a 10g sump/refugium for a 20g long. I was wondering if you could post pics of your Mebbid including the plumbing etc. so I have a better grasp of one like mine that works :)

I have a 20 gallon reef tank and a few months ago I had this question myself. I did some research and found a Hang on back breeding box that I use for my refugium. Is got some compartments to separate your media or chaeto (which I have). I have a lamp over it to grow the chaeto and it works really well.

It was relatively cheap, you just need to buy a small pump that will pull the water into the refugium from the tank. I bought one for really cheap that I can adjust the flow and fitted it on the intake tube with another small tube to make a snug fit. It works pretty well. But it's up to you if you'd want something off the back of the tank.

It's something like this:

Amazon.com: Marina Hang-On Breeding Box, Large: Pet Supplies

What do you guys think the best design is for a 10 gallon sump with a refugium

sorry for hi-jacking your thread but I'm in the process of building a 10g sump/refugium for a 20g long. I was wondering if you could post pics of your Mebbid including the plumbing etc. so I have a better grasp of one like mine that works :)

Mine is SUPER simple. I basically have a HOB overflow on my 20g tank and it drains through PVC into the 10g tank underneath it. I didn't bother to modify the 10g tank to create separate chambers. Then I have a pump connected to plastic tubing pushing water up into the display.

What do you guys think the best design is for a 10 gallon sump with a refugium

If I were to redo my refugium this is the design I would use.

719d1225262540-diy-refugium-s-sump-pic.jpg

The baffles cause a very specific depth of water to be maintained in the aquarium. I would probably make this design deeper to maximize the amount of water in it however.

I don't plan on having a skimmer or anything in my refugium so instead of the single baffle I have a corner where the water hits and where live rock rubble will be then overflow into the main refugium part where I will have a heater and live rock and deep sand bed.

Sounds good to me. Skip the deep sand bed though.they aren't necessary in a refugium. You will gain more benefit by adding macro algae.

I had planned to do both. I have a 5 month old 10g and I plan on just move most of the sand into the refugium. I should create a dsb without me really doing anything. I just need to figure out where to get macro algae. Petco is the only place near me really.

I had planned to do both. I have a 5 month old 10g and I plan on just move most of the sand into the refugium. I should create a dsb without me really doing anything. I just need to figure out where to get macro algae. Petco is the only place near me really.

I would look on craigslist for anyone selling corals, fish, etc. and see if they will give you some of the algae from their refugium, if you can't find anyone there, post a thread on here asking if anyone is nearby to your town and willing to harvest some from their tank for you.

So if I was gonna use it also to produce pods I would need a deep sand bed and live rock? What about miracle mud? Anyone recommend it?

So if I was gonna use it also to produce pods I would need a deep sand bed and live rock? What about miracle mud? Anyone recommend it?

Skip the deep sand bed and miracle mud. Just go with refugium rubble instead. All in all it won't really allow you to grow enough pods to sustain fish that survive off of them though.

Back
Top Bottom