Regular Medicine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zevan1812

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just wondering if anyone adds medicine to their tank as preventative rather than reactive.

Just wondering if anyone adds medicine to their tank as preventative rather than reactive.

It's not needed and a total waste of money IMHO. Your treating for things you don't need to and you could be doing more harm then good.

Also you could be helping your fish build up a resistants to it an then when you need it its not gonna be as effective if effective at all.

IMO don't do it.

Good point. Just had a mystery death a few weeks ago... all levels are stable... and no other loss. Was just wondering what it could have been and if it coukd have been prevented, guess I'll never know.

Good point. Just had a mystery death a few weeks ago... all levels are stable... and no other loss. Was just wondering what it could have been and if it coukd have been prevented, guess I'll never know.

Things happen and sometimes we'll never know what caused it. If parameters are good and nothing new has been added maybe it was just its time.

It happens. If other fish start showing signs of being sick then start the process of identifying it. Until then I'd just sit back and relax.

I highly recommend against continuous medication. It actually increases resistance (as said earlier) but also reduces the body's ability to create antibodies against even normally non-pathogenic organisms. We're seeing it in hospitals with humans (I am a nurse), in farms with all kinds of animals (my sister is a vet), more and more!
So if it applies in physiology and zoology, it can be extrapolated that similar patterns would occur in ichtyology as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom