Regulator Advice???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schpanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
Which types of regulators do you use and recommend? I'm going pressurized and would like some advice please. The only one I know so far was recommended by Fresh20 and is the Premium Aquatek with cool touch solenoid.

Any recommendations would be great.

I've recently ordered an Aquamedic regulator. It served me well until I damaged it in a freakest of freak accidents. That said, there are generally two types of regulators. Those that allow you to regulate pressure and those that don't.

For us, the former is useful in that it allows you to use membrane CO2 diffusers instead of the standard ceramic disc diffusers. These membrane diffusers run in absolute silence but require a higher pressure output hence the need for a regulator which adjusts pressure. Goggole/youtube: Up Aqua Super Atomizer

Also the membrane diffusers create smaller micro bubbles which diffuses/exchanges CO2 faster with your water.

You can get glass/cermaic CO2 diffuzers to run silently. In my experience the Japanese "rhinox" diffusers are the quietest glass diffusers on the market but they require an import via ebay.

I hope this helps.

When I was looking into CO2 systems, there were two other brands that came to mind: Milwaukee and GLA (Green Leaf Aquatics). I believe the former has models on par or better than the Aquatek model that was mentioned. GLA carries a series that are supposedly much higher in quality and are built when you order them (as opposed to sitting prepackaged on a warehouse shelf). Of course, you pay 2-5x more for this.
GLA also makes atomic diffusers as mentioned in the previous post. I hear great things about this method of diffusion and hopefully will get to try this out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've been researching the GLA website and when I looked on youtube it seems that people with experience like their GLA regulators more than their old Aquatek. I was wondering about the atomic diffuser...I see that the one has a check-valve built in.

Do you have any experience or advice on a check valve built into the atomizer?

Also, someone on youtube mentioned a digital timer. The digital timer I checked out only has a 7 day span. Do most regular timers work around the clock (opposed to 7days-then reset)?

Thank you so much. SOOOOO HELPFUL. Thanks.

My aquatek mini regulator is the BOMB!!!

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

I have the aquatek premium. I love it so far. Only had it about a month though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a GLA regulator. It does a superfine job. I started out with a diffuser, which was OK, but I wound up building my own Cerges CO2 reactor. The reactor REALLY does a good job of diffusing CO2. :dance:

Wait, what? I'm still pretty new to all this. Is a diffuser the same thing as a reactor? You built your own??? Of course now I'm going directly to youtube to see if I can find anything. The diffuser was the one thing I couldn't find easily, so I ordered a cheap atomic diffuser, I hope I didn't screw up.

Oh wait, just looked it up...is that for canister filters? I have two HOB's.

Wait, what? I'm still pretty new to all this. Is a diffuser the same thing as a reactor? You built your own??? Of course now I'm going directly to youtube to see if I can find anything. The diffuser was the one thing I couldn't find easily, so I ordered a cheap atomic diffuser, I hope I didn't screw up.

Oh wait, just looked it up...is that for canister filters? I have two HOB's.

The diffuser and atomic diffuser are similar, however, the latter produces a mist versus small bubbles.
A reactor is a chamber about 2" wide and maybe a foot tall where water from a pump or canister is introduced from the top and exits at the bottom (and then to the tank). Somewhere near the bottom of the chamber is where a small tube introduces CO2 gas from a regulator. The bubbles flow upward but are suspended by the downward flow of incoming water. It is there where the CO2 is absorbed into the water often resulting 100% utilization of the gas (as opposed to them rising to the surface and popping). CO2 reactors are available commercially or can be made as a DIY project. They are based on two main design types: Rex-Grigg and Cerges.

I don't own a reactor. My cheapo ceramic diffuser sits under the intake of my AC50 filter. Inexpensive but effective for my tank size.
Also, regarding the reactors, they can run at a lower BPS and still be very effective for CO2 distribution.

If you would go with a reactor, be cautious. They can limit filter flow. That is why I'm dumping my Ista reactor and going back to a GLA atomizer.

I have 2 HOB's so no reactor for me. I never had any luck with canister filters and have stayed away from them. I tried to order one of those GLA atomic diffusers, but no one seems to have any, even the GLA website, so I'll keep looking. For now ordered a super cheap one. Now I'm looking at the pack and it says "Super Diffuser," not "Atomic Diffuser!" UGH (China-made Saga). Oh well I'll use it and keep trying to find an atomic diffuser. This is basically like an air stone right? Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom