Reinforcing a diy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarjo Pepper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking about a tank years into the future, but I currently can't find a place that would sell me the type and size that I want since I'm going for something a little weird. Costume tanks are crazy expensive so I'd thought I'd build instead. So!
If I wanted to build a tank 3x3 ft with either 1.5 ft or 2ft height, would it need reinforcements like bracing? What else?
From thickness calculators I've looked at it seems .25in or 6mm works, but if it's not please comment!
Ultimately I'm attempting to make a bigger version of table tanks that I've seen. A weird see-through pond thing. I want a lot of surface area because my dream is to have a load of cory cats and a pleco in it. I would be able to see it from the top while on the couch and from the sides while lying on the carpet. So the whole thing would be glass or mostly, if that's possible? :thanks:

Are you going to have it plumbed through the floor with all the equipment underneath in the basement?

I'd thought of putting it underneath in a stand, or even have filters concealed in the corners within the tank, but either probably wouldn't cut it? I definitely don't want to plumb to the basement, I want everything on the same floor.

From your description, it seemed like it would be sorta like a coffee table in the middle of the living room floor kinda thing.

Yes exactly. That's the plan. So I would want filtration hidden either within the tank itself or underneath in a stand.

what are you planing for power are you going to add a floor outlet ,
Ive seen something similar of what your talking about , the guy used a old wire spool for a base , he cut out a access door to service it the tank in the center had a hollow tub for running all the plumbing looked pretty neat after he finished it , he built his tank out of acrylic

Do you have any pictures of that wire tank? I dont really care if a few cords have to trail on the floor to an outlet, I just want the machinery hidden.

Back
Top Bottom