Remove plants and decoration for cleaning??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PilotGav

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just read a few articles on water changes and aquarium maintenance.

One of the articles recommend removing all fake plants and decorations to be cleaned regularly.

I have a lot of fake plants and large decorations And I can't imagine removing them every time I clean the tank. I've got them placed very carefully, and they're packed pretty tightly.

Where other peoples thoughts on this? Do you usually remove your fake plants and decorations?

Attachments

• image-4207491687.jpg
    image-4207491687.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 158
If its easy enough to move and put back I would do it IMO. I can't noway lol. So I just gravel vac where I can get into.

But your tank looks some you may be able to remove some decor and easily put it right back.

Not so much for my tank... I tried once and it took me 3 hours to try and get back to the exact way it was before so never again.

I wouldn't even know where to start lol

image-3880735416.jpg

I only do that once in a great while. I see no need for it. I like to move my things so I can clean under them but not so much to clean the actual aquarium

I only ever used to remove then when there was a ton of algae on them. Not sure why they would need to be cleaned regularly. But if you do want them to be cleaned quite well use bleach, it works well. Only down side is that the structure gets weaker from what i have heard

Hi Pilot,

Your artificial plants and decorations are a surface area for nitrifying bacteria to live on, so no, I would not clean them. You can move stuff around to clean the substrate beneath them, but I wouldn't clean the actual decor, especially in a new tank.

Your tank looks nice, by the way. You may want to move the heater closer to the filter to help distribute the heat throughout the tank.

David

Thanks David! I was really happy with the way the tank turned out - especially since its our first tank.

I'll move the heater :)

If I need to get to a spot I can't reach, ill blow debris out with a Turkey baster then vacuum the mess. I rarely move anything but my DW.

Back
Top Bottom