Removing fries from main tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johmartz

Aquarium Advice Regular
My jewel cichlids have spawned and there are lots of fries! Wondering what's another alternative to removing these fries aside from netting them? Would suctioning them with a 5/8 in. hose work?

I've never had Jewels but don't the parents watch the fry until they are a certain size? I have a friend that breeds them and he won't remove the fry until the parents give up on guarding them which is usually around half an inch. Then he just proceeds to net them. Are you trying to raise them for sale or just the experience? Good luck!

I've never had Jewels but don't the parents watch the fry until they are a certain size? I have a friend that breeds them and he won't remove the fry until the parents give up on guarding them which is usually around half an inch. Then he just proceeds to net them. Are you trying to raise them for sale or just the experience? Good luck!

Well this is the first time that I have fries and I am going to ask the lfs that I frequent if they would buy them from me. I would like to place them and their parents in my 10 gallon holding tank, but netting is going to be quite a challenge I think. I'll probably suction them and net the parents.

Back
Top Bottom