Removing Tubes from a T5HO fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dxs2104

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking to buy a T5HO Fixture, and This one would be the most ideal one for me in terms of length, bulbs and price.

It is a 4x 24W 6700K setup (96W total). That would seem to be a little too much wattage for my 29g tank where I'm looking to set up low to mid light plants.

My question is: Would I be able to remove 2 (or just 1) of the bulbs from the fixture for 2x 24W (48W total) or are they wired in a way that you need 4 working bulbs to complete the circuit?

It would probably just be more economical to buy a 2 bulb fixture..But yes it's possible to remove two bulbs to reduce your light. You just need to tape shut the sockets so they don't corrode and won't shock anything.

I would buy a 2 bulb fixture...BUT

I have not found one cheaper (with the T5HO 6700K lights included).

If I could get a 30" 2x 24W T5HO for ~$50-60 I would go ahead and buy that, but all the other ones I have seen are more expensive than even this 4x one. With the 4x one I could also save 1 replacement by taking the two out, using em once the first ones go; also have the option for scale up in case I ever want to go to higher light plants/larger tank.

First time buying lighting so I havn't seen a whole lot so any suggestions are welcome.

I have a 2x24w fixture that can fit on any tank from 22"- 30". It cost quite a bit though (120USD) because of the chrome reflectors that came with it and the low heat ballast. But anyways. I'm thinking you don't necessarily need a T5 fixture. Look up at some of the Coralife Retrofits.

IMO if your fixture is wired in parallel then you can remove one or two bulbs. If it is wired in "series" then with one bulb removed all bulbs will go out.

You could try looking for a 24" model. I looked on ebay, but there was only the cichlid/marine light up. I'm sure you could ask if they could swap out the bulbs for some 6700's or start another auction.

Back
Top Bottom