Rena XP1 - am I filling it right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghostie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
O.k., this is my first time with a Rena XP1 and I'm just sort of looking for some validation here.

It does not have a lot of room for more media (and frankly, the XP2 and XP3 would have been too much filtration for my 18 gal. (would have been like an ocean)).

I have from bottom to top:

black spongy thing (coarse) on the bottom,
Rena bio-stars next,
Bio-zorb (is this worthless?) on top of the stars
the fine white filter on top.

I chose this particular order, because that what my interpretation of the instructions and the pictures on the outside of the different media boxes suggest.

What do you all think?

The bio-zorb can be removed. Don't really need it. Do you have any ceramic cylinders? If you can get some, I'd mix them in with the stars, then place 2 fine filter pads on top. Then you'd be set.

That's funny, when I called Rena, the customer support guy said that the stars were superior to the ceramic cylinders, so I didn't get any. why do you recommend the ceramic cylinders?

they all say that, but the rings provide more surface are and are more porous than stars, reana and the other companys will always vote for their product first lol I would remove the bio zorb and if you wanta crystal clear tank buy some Seachems Purigen, it will crystal clean a tank in around 24 hours

sponge, rings/stars and floss on top would work really nice. No need for chemical type media like the zorb stuff...

I agree, it's all a sales gimmic. But don't get rid of the stars, as they are great as well. But with cylinders, you can pack a bunch in, giving you a ton more surface area. Just mix the 2 together. You will be good. Also, the stars and the cylinders never need to be replaced. Even if it says to on the box, they don't. Just another gimmic to get you to buy more often. Just a simple rinse in tank water is all they ever need. And if some looked plugged up, you can always poke a toothpick through and rinse in old tank water. I've never had any plug up yet though. But if it ever does happen, that's all you have to do.

tropicfishman said:
they all say that, but the rings provide more surface are and are more porous than stars, reana and the other companys will always vote for their product first lol I would remove the bio zorb and if you wanta crystal clear tank buy some Seachems Purigen, it will crystal clean a tank in around 24 hours

Sorry to Hijack the thread but I am wondering if purigen effects trace elements. My water is very clear but I have heard that this stuff id really really good. Will it effect my plants though?

SkullJug said:
tropicfishman said:

Sorry to Hijack the thread but I am wondering if purigen effects trace elements. My water is very clear but I have heard that this stuff id really really good. Will it effect my plants though?

You can get a clear tank with other ways as well, and not use Purigen. Lots of floss and not overfeeding is the best way. Most water clearity problems are due to over-feeding. My tanks are crystal clear now, and I use no Purigen. And yes, using it will affect your plants, as it will take away valuable nutrients.

Hmm, but as someone who only as plastic plants, I assume that using the Purigen is more beneficial than not?

Actually, the use of Purigen will mask any problems, and not get rid of the problems. If the water is not clear due to overfeeding, and you use purigen to clear the water, the problem is not solved. Then if you feed a little more and the water gets cloudy again, then what? Also, when the purigen get's used up, and needs replacing, then what? Could lead to a spike that will wipe out the tank. That's just my opinion though. I prefer staying away from products that could result in problems later by masking them temporarily. Now I don't know how long purigen lasts, and how often it needs to be replaced if at all, I could be wrong. But I just like staying away from sales gimmics where companies promote all these things without stating the real facts. So, if you have not-so-clear water, then there's a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed rather than masked. My opinion only. So you have my end of it, see what others have to say, and then you should have what you need to make future decisions. :)

Back
Top Bottom