Rena XP1 set-up questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Rena Xp1 that has been running for several months now (4-5). I have been using the media configuration that came with it, (two black filters, a bag of charcoal and a white fine filter floss). I have cleaned the canister and all media every 6 weeks and the water output is strong. The problem I notice is debris is always floating around and seems to get shot out of the nozzels (spray bar) and I also have a dead spot under the filter intake where debris collects, occasionally a pleco or loach stirs it up creating a mess.

I will try repositioning the spray bar to another spot to try and create better flow to avoid dead spots, any suggestions where?

CURRENT SET UP (See image)

Secondly, how often should I replace the filter floss and what media config do you reccomend?

29 Gal, Planted.

Thanks

Attachments

• image_235.jpg
    image_235.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 169
You really don't need the carbon bag unless you are removing medications, etc. I replaced mine with some of those Bio-Stars by Rena.

I've run my course media (the black stuff) since I've set the filter up. Really isn't a reason to replace them unless they are starting to rip to pieces as they are easily washed. The white media should probably be replaced. Don't buy the replacement stuff by Rena. Check your LFS for bulk filter floss. I get mine in sheets for $0.99, enough to do 4 Rena filters. Old fine media could be the cause of the floating debris as it doesn't clean as well.

Thanks, I was planning to replace the carbon with bio-stars or some sort of ceramic soon. I also planned on buying new filter floss as well, so you have confirmed what I planned. Thanks.

What about the intake and output setup, any thoughts on that?

There is no need to remove the carbon bag if you have had it in there for a while. It has a good bacteria culture built up on it already. As far as filter floss goes, I remove mine monthly. I just replace it with polyester, which you can pick up in a craft section of any super store, like WalMart.

Back
Top Bottom