Repeated fin splitting, what's wrong???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxfrenkel19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.

My angelfish recently had her tail fin split down a few of the spines. I treated the tank with a maracyn, thinking it was fin rot. At the end of the dose, her fins were healed but the d.gourami was splitting. I tried a dose of tetracycline, but stopped two days in as the fish were beginning to behave strangely. Now I've done two days without medication but 50% water changes daily, as I've heard this alone can cure fin rot. Unfortunately, today my two bolivian rams also appear to have some split fins. Is this in fact fin rot, or am I dealing with something else? I don't see any of the rotting away of flesh that I see in pictures, just a splitting down the spines of their fins (fish are all acting completely normal as well, no change in behavior). Please can someone advise me as to what is wrong, and how I can treat it?

My tank is 46gal bowfront with 2 bolivian rams, 3 oto cats, 1 bnp, 6 forktail rainbows, a dg and an angel. The rams are the only two that can be aggressive, and then only to each other.

I don't have my own water test kit, but I brought a sample to my LFS and they said I had no problems.

I alternate between bloodworms and flake food and have not altered their diet recently. I did recently add a large piece of driftwood, but I bought it from the LFS so I assumed I'd have no problems. Also, the angel's fin rot began before I put the wood in.

The tank has been set up for about 3 months with no problems until now. I'm using a penguin dual bio-wheel filtration system.

I hope this is enough information for someone to be able to help me. I appreciate any advice, and let me know if you need any more information.

Are the nipping at each other? Could there be a decoration that is causing problems? Filter intake? Usually fin rot is going to be black edges with the fin kind of dissolving. What is your normal water schedule & how much? When the LFS says everything is OK that doesn't really tell you anything, they should give you actual numbers & use a liquid test not strips. Can you post any pics?

Are the nipping at each other? Could there be a decoration that is causing problems? Filter intake? Usually fin rot is going to be black edges with the fin kind of dissolving. What is your normal water schedule & how much? When the LFS says everything is OK that doesn't really tell you anything, they should give you actual numbers & use a liquid test not strips. Can you post any pics?

Thanks for the response Shellie.

One ram does frequently kick the other ram out of his territory, but they have been at it for months without this fin splitting problem. I have never seen the gourami nor the angel nip or be nipped. These wounds don't really look like bites. I first notice a small notch or small break between spines. The next day, the split will continue down the tail, until the tail looks like a chinese fan thats been opened too many times and splits.

I couldn't get a picture of my angel b/c she is healed, but this is similar:
http://www.theoscarspot.com/download/file.php?id=10080&mode=view

The only decorations are the large new piece of driftwood that I mentioned, and a midsize rock that I purchased from the LFS. I would be surprised if they tore their fins on this rock...its been in there for a month, it would be word for them all to run into it in the same week.

Before this string of incidents I was changing water at 20-25% a week. For the last few days I've been doing 40-50% daily to try to fix my fish up.

The LFS does use liquid tests, but I didn't think to ask them for my exact readings. I have used colorado tap water with dechlor for the duration of the tank, so the chemistry shouldn't have changed much?

Hope I've provided the info you need. On the bright side, the splits seem to heal quickly, but I think its discouraging that this "disease" is spreading through multiple fish, instead of being wiped out.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sorry for the double post, but after a little more research online, most sources seem to think that if the fin is "splitting" without any sign of rot it is likely from a vitamin deficiency in the diet, or bullying.

Any thoughts on this? I feed bloodworms and tetramin tropical flakes, alternating daily

Hmmm, you might back off on the blood worms if it is a vitamin deficiancy. Blood worms from what I understand are only meant to be fed once maybe twice a week as a treat so feeding more may be causing a problem.(?) If the driftwood was recently added did you check for any rough edges or points, could they possibly be getting snagged on it? Even though it came from an LFS they can still be kind of rough. Unfotunately, I'm not experieced with your breed of fish, hopefully someone with better knowledge on them will offer some advice.

Hmmm, you might back off on the blood worms if it is a vitamin deficiancy. Blood worms from what I understand are only meant to be fed once maybe twice a week as a treat so feeding more may be causing a problem.(?) If the driftwood was recently added did you check for any rough edges or points, could they possibly be getting snagged on it? Even though it came from an LFS they can still be kind of rough. Unfotunately, I'm not experieced with your breed of fish, hopefully someone with better knowledge on them will offer some advice.

I think the vitamin deficiency theory is the best I've got. I'll switch to feeding them pellet and flake food for the majority of the week, and hopefully the problem will disappear.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom