replace pleco with kuhli loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmaglich

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,
I made the mistake of buying a common pleco when I first started, and learned after I got him of how huge he gets. I have a 30g, and have: 2 angels, 3 rainbow sharks, 5 danios, 1 gourami, 3 corys, and the pleco. I was thinking about replacing the pleco with 2 kuhli loaches. The more I read about the kuhlis, the more I like them, and their max size is only around 4-5 inches. They also do well cleaning the tank I hear, so they would replace the pleco's job nicely. Suggestions?

I don't think they eat algae, just fallen food. So if algae is why you have the pleco, go with otos or a smaller pleco species.

Really, I could have sworn I saw on aquahobby that people said kuhlis took care of algae. Can anyone else confirm this or provide input??

i have kuhlis, and i despise them. they are incredibly insecure, they need to hide, in the smallest, or least convienent place for you. they dont do a good job eatting, (black) kuhlis are ugly as well.

when they do come out, they feel they need to swim erractically like a downed plane, hitting any fish in their way. once in a while they do their ritual of swimming around the left wall of the tank, the two of them, like mentally unstable fish.

ive had mine for 5 or 6 months, and i only see them during water changes (come on swim up the gravel vac, little worm) and they stay about 3"

get a cory, or some other small loach, you'll hate kuhlis because they need to be covered constantly, like when i take the rocks out of the tank for a pwc, they resort to worming their way under the pleco. they do eat flakes, but they arent clean up fish

EDIT: if they did eat algae, they might make themselves useful

ive got 3 corys already. Maybe just get rid of the pleco and add a few more corys?

I have 2 kuhli loaches--but you very rarely see them becasue they are always under something.

The only fish that I am not familiar with is the rainbow shark(if they would 'eat' your otos) but get the otos if you want something for algea control.

I would get otos again but I have a raphael catfish & he would eat the otos.

if you want a useful, entertaining, hand friendly fish, get a dojo loach. you'll notice a big difference

I would never even think about such a thing. For one, plecos aren't as bad at hiding in an aquarium as plecos, and if you don't think your plecos are eating algae then try another species. Plecos can at least defend themselves against agresive fish while khuli loaches are only able to do so becuase they are to small to pick on or make a good meal.

Ok, so...its down to either a dojo loach, a few more corys, or a few otos? Would otos get along with corys, which are basically the only other bottom dwellers except for the rainbow sharks, which are peaceful and not aggressive.

I don't thinks otos have a problem getting along with anybody. A few fish might see them as a snack. They basically spend their entire day hanging vertically on your tank wall.

hc8719: you described my khulis exactly. Swimming around like lunatics running into everybody with their sharp little barbs. I do like the way they look like little eels (I have the black ones you hate), but they really are a pointless fish. I don't have any cover for them whatsoever besides the back side of my filters because the darn things would get stuck under rocks and I'd have to lift the rocks for them to get out. I just took everything out and went barebottom in that tank.

too bad, i kinda liked the way the loaches looked. ANyone have experience with dojos? It looks like ill be getting a few otos or corys...

My friend just got a dojo and he says that the dojo is acting pretty calmly in comparison to the other few new additions (sail-fin molly and a golden wonder killi).

I personally think loaches are awesome.

Dojo loaches get pretty big...around 8 inches I think. I think the rainbow sharks are gonna take up a good bit of the bottom, so I would skip the Dojo. Add a few more cories, since you only have 3...then get a few otos...maybe 3-4.

What kind of algae do you have? Otos don't eat all kinds, so it would be best to find out what type you have.

Definitely return the pleco though...before he gets stunted. :)

Sorry, I meant "For one, plecos aren't as bad at hiding in an aquarium as khuli loaches".

I disagree with you JustOneMore20. I think he should keep the pleco and go for 2-3 otos that way he can cover a variety of algaes. His only problem left would be beard algae for which all you need is a sailfin molly or black molly. It will be able to take care of itself against the rainbows and be help with the algae. If you don't like him in there, if you have a salt tank you can always add him to that as long as you aklimate him first. Sailfin mollies and Black mollies can handle fresh, salt, or brakish water as long as they are aklimated into the environment.

see the thing is though EXM, I have a 30g tank, and the pleco will outgrow it sooner than later, and Id rather get him to a better home before its too late. I really dont have any algae either, the tank is a little over a month old...thanks for the help!

once i moved my khulis to a bigger tank, and added a powerhead, they started moving alot more. mine normally didn't hide much. their little demons to catch though

Jmaglich, If you want to get rid of him, I need a pleco for my koi tank that is about 50 gallons. Depending on size, I may be able to pay rather nicely.

I disagree with you JustOneMore20. I think he should keep the pleco and go for 2-3 otos that way he can cover a variety of algaes. His only problem left would be beard algae for which all you need is a sailfin molly or black molly. It will be able to take care of itself against the rainbows and be help with the algae. If you don't like him in there, if you have a salt tank you can always add him to that as long as you aklimate him first. Sailfin mollies and Black mollies can handle fresh, salt, or brakish water as long as they are aklimated into the environment.
Common plecos can get over 12 inches...or atleast that is how big they are supposed to get. In a 30g it would be severely stunted and would not live as long as it would in a suitable tank size. A common pleco has no business in a tank under 75g. Bigger than that is definitely better. Disagree all you want, but IMO its cruel to keep a common pleco in a 30g tank unless the poster can upgrade before the pleco is stunted.

see the thing is though EXM, I have a 30g tank, and the pleco will outgrow it sooner than later, and Id rather get him to a better home before its too late
You have very good intentions...good to see you are willing to do the right thing for the fish. Kuhli loaches don't eat algae though....so I'd up your shoal of cories and then get 4-5 otos for algae. Since the tank is new, I'm assuming you have brown algae? Otos should take care of it if it is brown diatoms or soft green algae.

Back
Top Bottom