Replacement for a rainbow shark!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
K I'm hoping someone can help I need a replacement for my rainbowshark.
He's fully grown and is terrorizing my new cockatoo cichlid :(. Is there anything similar that is completely community friendly???

Don't go red-tail Shark... That'll make it worst. Bristenose pleco maybe?

I'd say your RBS views your cichlid as invading its territory.
You could try rearranging the decor... Hopefully it'll force the RBS to establish new territories.

What size tank?? Add another log or tunnel to add more territory.

Sharkbait54 said:
I heard they were aggressive is this true?

I had four until just recently (now have two) and have never had an issue. They are very peaceful IME and they do do better with a mate or school IMO. This is the true SAE not the false, flying fox or CAE.

Mumma.of.two said:
I had four until just recently (now have two) and have never had an issue. They are very peaceful IME and they do do better with a mate or school IMO. This is the true SAE not the false, flying fox or CAE.

Oh thats cool ill see if my lfs has any!

If you have a breeder box the owner of aquatic critter told my dad to put the aggresive fish in the breeder box for a couple days to see if it will get used to the new fish then let it back out. Idk if this works but it seems like it might work, I've also heard the rearrange thing

blizowman1 said:
If you have a breeder box the owner of aquatic critter told my dad to put the aggresive fish in the breeder box for a couple days to see if it will get used to the new fish then let it back out. Idk if this works but it seems like it might work, I've also heard the rearrange thing

Like put him in timeout? Lol this morning he didn't seem too chasy anymore and the cockatoo kinda flared at him and they went their seperate ways "crosses fingers"!

I've seen this in SW sections, it sounds kind of goofy but posting pictures on the side of the tank of other cichlids to make him feel outnumbered or putting a mirror to draw aggression towards another rainbow "invading" his territory

I've been pretty busy but the little time I do have I've seen the rainbow shark less aggressive to my cockatoo.

It looks like when they are going to meet the cockatoo flares at the rainbow and the shark goes on his way.

I also added some hiding spots so that might have contributed to it also!!

Back
Top Bottom