rescued this 30 gal tank. (video)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmyfalcon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Found this tank on CL, the seller was moving out and no longer wanted to take his tank with him. Paid $40 for everything and loaded it up in my suv. I could tell right away he did not do frequent water changes, tank was dirty, smelly, and the oversize driftwood that is in the tank has black fuzzy moss growing all over it. When i got home i put everything back together.

I took a video and uploaded it. First things first, I did a major water change and that cleared up the water and a little of the stench went away, I will do a much needed gravel vacuum to clean some of the nasty stuff out tomorrow.

The substrate looks to be crushed coral, he said he use to run this tank as a salt water tank before. He also noted he had to put driftwood in the tank because of the high PH levels with this type of substrate. one of my many questions, I want to keep plants in this tank, should i keep this substrate in? can i leave a little in and surround it with either fluval or eco complete substrate?

about the moss what is the safest way to get ride of it without using any type of medicine?

The sump, the floss looks like its never been changed at all. At the bottom he has a sock full of ceramic rings. I plan on taking out the floss and adding new in, I should leave the sock in the same place, im thinking about adding another sock with the same stuff. advice on what type of filtration i can use would be helpful. He does have some of that purigen max left, can i use that stuff?

the fish seem to all hid behind that big *** drift wood, it looks like they were traumatized.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom