Resealed aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisher12

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I resealed my leaking aquarium, just the four corners and bottom. I did not remove the trim and do underneath. It didn't turn out perfect looking but I beleive good. I just took it outside (50*f) from inside (70*f) and test filled it after about 48 hours. The water was cold. I thought I heard a slight creak with 1/4 full. After it was completely full I heard a semi loud/Not good sounding crack. So far no leaks tho but that sound has me worried about setting it back up. Any advice? I can't leave it outside, should I just set up anyway? I wonder if the temperature difference caused the sound?

It's important IMO to know what made the sound. If that was the glass pieces rubbing on each other, that could be a disaster in the making. Since you only need to reseal from inside the tank, there is no need for you to remove the moldings. That said, it may have been the glass resettling into the molding that made the sound. Could it have also be what you set the tank up on to test?
Bottom line, if you are willing to have the tank fail where you set it up, you take the chance knowing you may have a mess to clean up.

Well it is in a older mobile home so it would not be the best place for it to explode lol. But I left it outside on my stand, on the porch for 3 or 4 hours and it showed no signs of leak. I brought it in because it's 35 degrees outside now. From what I can see all looks good but that sound scares me. It is empty again. I think I'm gonna take my chances and fill it up, I'm a little nervous. I'm leaning toward the temperature change since the water was so cold or it setting in place from the pressure. Any further comments or advice appreciated thanks!

Well it is in a older mobile home so it would not be the best place for it to explode lol. But I left it outside on my stand, on the porch for 3 or 4 hours and it showed no signs of leak. I brought it in because it's 35 degrees outside now. From what I can see all looks good but that sound scares me. It is empty again. I think I'm gonna take my chances and fill it up, I'm a little nervous. I'm leaning toward the temperature change since the water was so cold or it setting in place from the pressure. Any further comments or advice appreciated thanks!

I’d fill it and leave it outside for a few days and see how it goes. I think if you read the silicon info it says to leave it for 7 days to fully cure,I may be wrong?

Could it have been the porch cracking from the weight?
I here my decks make lots of noise in the winter due to expansion and contraction in the cold...
I agree that caulk should cure a little longer then most think...I would not have tested for a week at least .
I have always been under the impression that new tanks get to cure for 90 days as I have never seen a manufactured date less then 90 days old on the new tanks I purchase.....
If you only caulked the inside then the main caulk between the glass is still good and that may help?

I looked at my friend and said maybe it was the porch lol. It could of been but we thought probably wasn't. I learned to do it from diy videos on YouTube, most said 48 hours is safe with the ge 1 silicone. The trim is cracked in a few spots and has been this way since I bought it. I'll try and put a pic. Also it is 34 degrees F. Right now and supposed to be 27 again tonight or I would of left it outside. When I heard the crack I thought it was about to break. But like I said it was fine for a few hours. I was bouncing around on the porch, which wasn't doing much probably but I thought if it was about to break it would help lol. I'm dying to fill it back up but I'm scared lol. My fish and plants are in a storage tote right now

I dunnnoo If I'd trust that tank. All the trims are cracked in important spots

Agreed.
It might hold for years that way, but I'd hate to be nervous for all that time. Would buy a new one for piece of mind.

Not that it matters now but your seal is indeed not something. If not for the trim cracks I would redo. Masking tape will help, use it at least for the vertical seams.

Good luck!

The corner cracks don't concern me so much as that is where the silicone is holding the best..
The crack on the cross support on top is a definite no go for me..
I would not fill that tank up 1/2 way even if it was new with a broken cross brace..
That is all [no silicone] that keeps 2 @4 feet pieces of glass from bowing under stress.
The bottom of the panel is caulk to bottom of tank giving support but there is now nothing on the top doing anything..
The corners I might super glue . The top frame I would replace if I already hadn't done it once and wished I never messed with that tank..The top frame was a deal at $75 !
Should have just bought new....
Just my honest experience..Selling the 75 in two weeks at a swap meet...
You could Euro brace the top for cost of glass and silicone...

Well maybe I shouldn't try it then. Is there anyway to repair this or is the tank junk? Idk much about them, I just researched and sealed it the for first time. I just assumed that it would be alright if the seams were all sealed.

You can remove the top and Euro brace with glass or remove top and add glass center brace. Both are just caulk to the top of tank and trusted methods of repair.

Agree with everyone, the cross brace at the top is VERY important. If the glass flex’s at the top the whole front pane will shatter. Rimless tanks use thicker glass to take the stress but a tank with a top brace requires the brace to stop the flex. The cracking sound would have been the top brace flexing I recon. You could remove the top brace and fix it with some good quality epoxy and an over lay of some sort? Maybe an aluminium strip that’s riveted to the brace?

I’ve always been terrified of a flood in my house so if anything shows any signs of breakage or stress I’d replace the whole tank.

That's what I was guessing. I wouldn't have wasted my time and money into caulking it. But being a big do it your selfier (as I am) I would weld a frame to fit it, Or look into getting a new frame with the middle brace for it. Probably be cheaper from the start to just buy a new one. People have fixed that middle piece with quick seal. But I wouldn't. I wish you all the luck. And it was probably the porch with a 55gallon tank filled with water. Lol! That's alot of weight. Is this the same tank that caused water damage not to long ago? There was one on here thought it was a 20g though. Anyways, if this is the same one and you have the type of stand with no support on the corners, and sits more in the middle of the tank. I highly suggest to make a new stand. Or get one.

Yeah I am cheap as all get out, and I wouldn't even fill that to test it. It's the cross bracing. I will cost you way less to find one on craigs list or just get a brand new one.

Back
Top Bottom