resealing a 90 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeh1487

Aquarium Advice Regular
so I am resealing my 90gal tank with a built in over flow. I have two questions one what do i do around the built in overflow i stoped cutting the silicone about 1/5 inch from the built in over flow. my question is how close do i go to the over flow i dont want the tank to leak. the other problem i am having is in the middle of the resealing i though i could work around the coraline alge but it was proven to hard so i thew in some vinagar and water and got rid of the coaline i need to dry it and i thew a fan in it and it dryed but the problem was i saw some water on the bottem inbetween the trim and on the outside of the glass on the bottem of the tank. the question is what do i do to get ride of the water in there and apparently it doesnt hold water should i take off the bottem of the tank and reseal it or since the silicone was removed in that area once i resilicone that area it will be water proof again thanks for your hely

Once a tank gets passed a certain size I am not comfortable resealing unless all the panes of glass are disassembled cleaned of old silicone and then put back together. I never have been a fan of resealing tanks in the fashion you are doing. Many do it this way because well it is easy.

Probably fine but 90 gallons of water on my floor isn't worth the risk. The time to clean up, dry the carpet, replace damaged floor, etc... well it would be far cheaper and quicker to just buy a new tank.

Back
Top Bottom