resin/cement for use in aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reun

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok, i have seen several aquarium backrounds made from anything from concrete to styrafoam, but all everyone lists for the coating is either concrete, cement, hobby cement, or resin. after all the specifics about the coloring used to tint the cement being used, no one lists EXACTLY what they are using.

is there a type of resin or cement readily available at a hobby shop or hardware store or home improvement store that is non toxic and safe?

last thing i want is to pick up something that seems safe, cycle the tank, and have the fish i put in die in a few weeks.

suggestions DIY veterans?

You can use certain types of epoxy. I'm not sure what they are but they are out there. I have seen some pretty interesting backgrounds made with epoxy, sand and a few rocks. You just have to make sure that it is fully cured before filling the tank with water.

Sorry I can't help you more. I'll look around for a few links.

i have posted on a couple of other sites and also done massive searching on the internet. what i have found is that a good grade of epoxy is inert when fully cured. it seems the thing to look for is "waterproof" on the label (which all decent epoxy should be), and to mix it properly to ensure it cures completely. it is important to allow it to dry for a couple weeks to ensure it hardens completely and become inert and to ensure it was mixed properly, if its not mixed right it will most likely never set up correctly.

so, thats what i have found, if anyone has any comments or wants to refute that info please post!

Hi guys, I have used General Electric or GE Silicone I that is sold at home depot and the like. The stocking number is GE012A and it is a white caulking tube with a little blue and black on the container. It only costs about 5 dollars and you just have to make sure to cure it for a while and soak in water for a little. The silicone smells of vinegar until it is cured. As for cement I have read Thorite, made by Thoroseal is good to use. It is what aquariums and the sort use. Unfortunatly it isn't made anymore under that name. You can find it now as Emaco GP or Emaco S110. With the cement you are going to want to let it cure as well and rinse with water lots of times to get the ph down to normal.

Back
Top Bottom