Rest period for apons and... banana plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kilgore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,

I have two plant species that were doing fabulously for a while, then started to decline. Their demise seemed to correspond with warmer temperatures (i.e. temps in the 80's) and an algal bloom, but hey, I could be making connections where none exist.

The Madagascar lace plant was beautiful with many large, perfect leaves, but then slowly all of its leaves disintegrated and the bulb started to look as if it might be rotting. I thought perhaps it was due for its rest period and took it out. All told it lasted about 3 weeks, and when I got it, it was a bare bulb. Seems early for a rest period if you ask me.

The banana plants were likewise splendid - large, beautiful leaves, sending up shoots to the top. Then, the leaves began to rot away, and eventually a little fungus began to grow on the little bananas. I tried to manually remove the fungus and suck it up with the gravel vac, but the plants have not grown new leaves and the bananastubers seem to be rotting. The actual roots are still bright green and intact, however. :(

Here's my info:

Plant(s) affected? Banana plants and Madagascar lace
~Tank size/volume? 25 gallons
~Lighting/wpg? 2.6 wpg cf
~Do you inject CO2? If so do you know the level? CO2 about 9 ppm based on pH/KH ratio (Nutrafin CO2 system) based on pH/KH ratio
~What do pH, KH, PO4, NH3 and/or NO3 test kits say? pH 7, KH 3, ammonia 0, nitrate 15 pm
~Dosing? What/how much/how often? Seachem products; macros several times weekly, micros about twice a week(ask me for details if you need them)
~Heavily, moderately, or lightly planted? moderately to heavily planted
~Fish stock? highly stocked (10 neons, four albino cories, 3 otos, 1 dwarf gourami)
~Tank Location (near windows - in direct sunlight)? no
~How long has tank been set up? 4 months

Thanks, as always!

-Kilgore

Quote from: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/plant_survey/aquarium_plants/?user_plants=16&cHash=62495f0912

Aponogeton fenestralis
Common Name: MADAGASCAR LACE

Tropical – Bog
pH range: 5.5 - 6.5
Temperature range: 20 - 22C
Water hardness: 30 - 60 ppm
Propagation: By seed
Habitat: Madagascar
A difficult plant to keep long term. Often grows until it has its tuber reserves exhausted.Must have a dormant or resting period.

Don't know, but it looks like pH is off and temperature as well. Plus I have no idea what this dormant period consists of, but I think that is an issue as well.
Hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in!
Good luck!

I realize my tank parameters are not perfect for this plant, but the odd thing is that when I first brought it home, it was basically just a bulb. It grew very large and beautiful, then began to decline. Same with the the banana plants.

I think perhaps there is a nutrient deficiency in the tank, since the part about using up its own stores would apply to both types of plant, but I have no idea what it is. I dose all of the macros several times a week, as well as the trace elements twice a week. Iron every 3-4 days. And I add Equilibrium after water changes to make up for what my soft water lacks. So this is just frustrating! I can't identify the nutrient deficiency because the plants just up and die. Perhaps these plants just are meant to live - long - in my tank. :(

Three weeks does seem too short. The plant needs to make a new bulb, and that generally takes longer. Some Aponogetonswill come back without removing them from the tank. Not sure about ML.

Back
Top Bottom