Restock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samzter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay... Right now I'm experiencing real issues after I did a big clean on my tank. Lost a tetra, amano shrimp, and a balloon Molly. My stock is in ruins so I need help! I won't be buying ANY fish tomorrow, just plants, new light fittings and a heater. I feel I'm going to loose more stock tonight, this may sound really cruel, but after all the neglect I gave them after the last 2 months, it may be better if they died and I start fresh. You are probably saying thats horrible, but I don't want them in pain. Anyways, Ive done everything I need to do for a nitrite spike, so there's still a chance a few will survive. I love cories to bits so I will want a few of them. I am going to go for an understocked or fully stocked tank. I was thinking:
10 neons
10 rummies
2 baby bristle nose plecos
Either a pair of rams or kribensis.
8 cores

33g. I just suffer from nitrite spikes :( it's a pain but hey, my taps are always high in nitrite

High nitrites out of the tap isn't good. Can you use RO water or at least cut your tap water with some RO water? If not then doing smaller more frequent WC's are better as it means you will be adding smaller amounts of nitrites at a time which will allow your BB to break them down better. Also would be easier on the fish. Also perhaps adding more bio media might help.

On it. They are about 0.5? I'll check the levels in tank now. EDIT: just checked tank and all levels are extremely high. Even if the fish do survive they will be internally damaged. I'm going to have to do a restock in august but until then, this tank remains empty :) apart from plants lol

Since I've pretty much done communitie tanks... I was wondering about cichlids? I mean not the huge ones but is there any which would look good in a 30g? And wouod any be suitable to leave with cores?

If you plant the tank well and have hidey holes then 1 or 2 rams or something like a pair or trio of Cockatoo Cichlids, as they have always tended to be a bit less aggressive in my tanks, would work.

So that way I could keep my school of rummy nose? They're hardier than people think. In all which has happened I've only lost one

You could keep the rummies and I agree that once they acclimate they are hardy.

In that size tank I'd only do rams or apisto's as there isn't enough of a footprint along with having cory's to do both.

When I just did a water change, something stung me? My hand is okay and I think it could of been a cory. Since don't they have them spikes behind their eyes to protect themselve?

Cory's have spine so I'm sure you poked your hand into one.

Lol it's painful! But anyways, I will post a picture soon... I'm going to pick up a black background tomorrow along with more plants. This thread will be used to update you guys along the way! You guys probably don't know but I'm only 14. Think I'm doing a good job? Correct me if im wrong ;)

Okay... I'm buying a black background, plants and a bubbly thingy tomorrow. I just ordered some more water conditioners online, the water levels are low because I'm going through a nitrite spike. My LFS advised to do so. Water changes are 20% daily until levels sort out. The three filers are in to try and get some air spreading round the tank ;) what y'all think? Btw the plants were planted today

Attachments

• image-3742479455.jpg
    image-3742479455.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 45
  • image-3417667495.jpg
    image-3417667495.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 68
Water levels have nothing to do with nitrite levels so you might as well fill the tank up. Also you don't need a bubbler unless you like the look of them. All they do is make surface turbulence which helps with the water/air (gas) exchange in the tank.

Sorry I meant water parameters :) the nitrite is through the roof. That's the main problem so I'm getting it down

Back
Top Bottom