restocking my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m_e23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently moved my 20 gallon tank into my 60 gallon hexagon tank and I am working on my plan to restock. Since the aquarium is more tall than long I want to have fish that will swim on each level. My plan is as follows:

- a school of marble hatchetfish (probably a school of 7 since the fish store just got a shipment of 7) then probably eventually expanding the school to 10 or so

Middle
- already have 3 platys in the tank that were left over from my 20 gallon tank
- a pair of GBRs as a centerpiece type fish
- possibly another small school of fish (open to suggestions)

Bottom
for the bottom I would like some sort of catfish
- 2-3 pictus catfish (will probably outgrow the tank but i do have a 75 gallon waiting in the wings... just need the money to complete the set up)
- a bumblebee catfish
- 3 or more kuhli loaches

I know the bottom level would probably be too crowded with all three so are there any suggestions on what would work? Would the rest of the tank be overstocked or understocked?

Also Im afraid my HOB filter may produce too much current for the hatchet fish. Ive never kept them and I cant really find anything on what current they prefer. What are some options on reducing the current if they do not prefer a strong current? Ive though of buying some plants to float on the surface to try and reduce the current some.

I'd pass on the pictus cat and go for a school of cories myself.

What kind of HOB do you have? Hatchetfish are great escape artists in case you didn't know, make sure you have a good cover with not one spare spot that is open. My hatchetfish didn't like much current.

I have the penguine biowheel 300 (the one up to 70 gal). The problem is is that the filter takes up one hole side and puts out a pretty good current. Is there anyway I can slow the flow on the filter or would floating plants near the filter slow the current coming off the filter?

You are running a little low on filtration. I think the concensus here is 10x gph. So for a 60 gallon tank you would want 600 GPH or twice what you curently have. As for the fish. I have a pictus and he is awesome very agressive during feeding time and never stops moving. For the middle of the tank I love rosy red barbs. The are playful and very active.

I too love the Rosey barbs for the middle. I have 6 longfinned rosey barbs and they are very active and fun to watch.

i'd still agree with theothergentm, rasboras[but i like glowlight / hengel / false harlequin better] r just too cute, hwa4^^ if u want a small school of fish[5 will do good, but 10 will be great] in the middle to strata. ..

anyhow. .. doesnt ur HOB has an adjustment tab to control the water current ??? mine does. ..

I dont see anywhere where i can contol the flow of water through the filter. Its a penguin biowheel 350 if anyone has one and knows how to adjust it. My 20 gallon filter on a different aquarium has a control knob on it but this one does not.

We'll all the sides are equal length becuase its a hexagon aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom