Restocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puffymcstuff

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! It's been a while since I last posted, but it's great to be back!
First of all, things have been going pretty good with my 60 hex and 10 gallon tanks. Here is what I am planning on doing:

I have never tried bigger tropical fish (I have done cichlids... that didn't work out too well), and I've always wanted to. So I have decided that this is the summer that I am going to do so. My hex's stock has been diminishing because of 5 particularly nasty Buenos Aires Tetras that are full grown. (Not so bueno...). This is alright with me though, because it means I don't have to rezone any of my fish. So right now I have 3 corys, the 5 buenos, 1 rummynose, 1 neon (They both had schools... but no more...), 1 10-inch pleco (Beasty), 1 3.5-inch bristlenose pleco, 4 red minor (or cardinal, I can't remember), 2 long black skirt tetras, and 1 blind cave fish. I am looking to rehome the buenos (though I am not sure it will be necessary... idk) and introduce the following (this is a rough guess... this post is a question as to what you people believe I should add or not):

1. 1 or 2 red parrots
  2. 1 black ghost knife (I really want one... but idk if it works)
  3. 2 or 3 gouramis (opaline, gold, and or blue)
  4. some type of bottom feeder (probably not necessary until the others pass)
  5. possibly some barbs or rams
  6. and I want to try angels again
Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Expressions of outrage?

I appreciate all of your help in advance!

Rather than getting new species, I would add more tetras to complete the school. I would also move the large pleco to a bigger tank.

As I said at the beginning, I am tired of the fish I have, want to get rid of the stupid buenos aires, and want to try a tank with larger fish.

I know I should, but I have this weird connection with Beasty... Also, I don't have a larger tank...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401999772.137156.jpg

Three Gouramis is a bad idea IMHO. they are all three the same species and they will battle it out and end up killing each other I recommend only one.

IF YOU HAVE A CONNECTION WITH THE PLECO YOU SHOULD SEND HIM TO A BIGGER HOME HE NEEDS ROOM TO GROW HE CAN LIVE A VERY LONG TIME YOU'LL HEAR THIS A LOT.

Blind cave fish can also be nippy as well as the Buenos Aires Tetras.

A large school of Barbs could be very nice.

If you want to try Angels , build the stock around them. No fin nippers, no barbs etc.

JMHO

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gourami: noted.
Pleco: noted sadly and will consider
What about a couple parrots, one gourami, and a school of larger barbs and dwarf rams?

Parrots are man made and temperament varies. Some are peaceful, some are bullies. Some have trouble eating as they can't close their mouths.

GBR Rams can be very sensitive unless you are buying direct from a breeder. Consider Apistos or Bolivian Rams.

There is nothing wrong with being attached to your Pleco, they can have quite a personality, just do your research and decide what is best long term for the fish.

GBRs like soft water and live plants. They probably should be with peaceful species.

Larger Barbs and Parrots are heading into Semi Aggressive to Aggressive type fish.

Figure out your favorite and build stock around that fish.

Alright, I've done it!

I went to Petsmart yesterday and bought 2 parrots and an opaline gourami! I rearranged the tank while they were floating and I can say this is the best my tank has looked in a long while (aesthetically).

I put the hatchet I had in my ten gallon and the bristlenose in the 60 as well (PS: is it possible for a bn to lose his whiskers?)

The first parrot's name is Polly (why not?) and the second is Perry (cuz I can) and the gourami's name is probably Jewels, though I am not certain. Here are some pictures! Perry has some black spots on his tail and body that I believe is left over from babyhood.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402165795.407825.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402165815.319241.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402165831.950558.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402165843.291108.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402165883.288936.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402339648.676209.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402339663.717783.jpg
Polly started doing this after Beasty stole his cave... Are they arguing over territory? Is there anything I should do?

And so it goes...

About lunch time yesterday my blind ave fish decided it would be clever to start nipping Polly the parrot... Polly seemed indifferent until about dinner time for me when he repeatedly rammed and or nipped the cave who would then nip back... I wasn't concerned because of the whole: "can't close their mouths all the way to bite" kind of thing... But by my bedtime and their dinner time, the cave was ravaged... Top lip, eye sockets, sides shredded... So I put him to sleep with a baking soda solution and ended it while he was asleep with isopropyl alcohol...

And so it goes...

About lunch time yesterday my blind ave fish decided it would be clever to start nipping Polly the parrot... Polly seemed indifferent until about dinner time for me when he repeatedly rammed and or nipped the cave who would then nip back... I wasn't concerned because of the whole: "can't close their mouths all the way to bite" kind of thing... But by my bedtime and their dinner time, the cave was ravaged... Top lip, eye sockets, sides shredded... So I put him to sleep with a baking soda solution and ended it while he was asleep with isopropyl alcohol...

I said "some can't close their mouths".
I also said some Parrots are very aggressive.

I know! I wasn't blaming you! ?

Plus I did my research and made the decision... Also, the cave fish started it, kind if funny!

Cave fish can be very nippy. Esp if not in a group.

It's not funny for the Cave Fish R.I.P. [emoji53]

I hope things go smoother from now on

Back
Top Bottom