Results from my substrate swap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I planned on changing for gravel to sand in my 120 gallon mbuna tank and I finally did it yesterday. It took forever. Had about 30 mbuna in there. First thing drained half the water out, took all the rocks and decorations out. And then attempted to take the fish out and move them to a ten gallon setup. It was extremely hard getting the fish out a lot harder than I expected. When we finally got the fish out we took out the gravel. Next I put in two 50 pound bags of pfs and then 30 pounds of aragonite sand. Clouded the water up pretty good so I filled it back up with the filters on for awhile. When it was clear enough to see round there I until the rocks and decorations back in. I tried to make it look a little more natural although I know there are some fake looking things in there.

Then I went to the airport to pick up the fish I ordered from cichlid express. So by the time I came back and acclimated them to the tank it was clear enough for all the fish to be put into the tank. All still look healthy and are doing fine so far. There's about 45 fish in there now. I'm hoping it won't be too big of a shock to the water and filters since I took all the original gravel out. I have an fx5, xp4 and f306 so it's got good filtration and water movement. Let me know what you think, I'll take some suggestions as well

The first picture is the old setup
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389984581.418473.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389984614.736233.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389984633.604919.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389984648.756076.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks really good man! I have sand in my tank too. It's cool to watch the fish transform the bottom of the tank because they are always moving the sand around the tank!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom