Retested my water now what should I put in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenmaji

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not my first tank but I think it might help to use the questions anyway..

1. Tank size... its in the sig. 75 gallons

2. Current filtration... too much.. got enough filters for 300 gallons.. or about 28X turnover in the 75! 8O

3. Type of substrate... depends on what fish I chouse..

4. pH of your water... in the sig. as well.. ~7.6 KH of about 6

5. What type of fish you like the most. Lake Malawi Cichlids (electric yellow labs. in particular) or SA like discus, rams or angelfish..

If my KH was 5 (1 point less then it is) I wouldnt be asking this question.. Id be saving up for some great lakes discus! and building an algae scrubber instead of typing this..LOL.

I want my water permitters to be as such that I would have no problem getting the fish to spawn if given the care to water quality that would be nessisary and the prepping with high quality foods (live and or frozen)..

I realize that a KH of 6 would work for discus but I dont think it would be easy to get the conductivity numbers that would be contusive to spawning them without a RO/DI unit..

Im wondering wich fish I could keep that would have no problems in the tap water conditions.. without buffer.. then of course I could buffer the water if nessisary.. like with the yellow labs...

Tanks in advance for any input.. :D

As you know, Rams are finicky fish when it comes to water requirements. With your pH being in the upper 7's, Rams may need a reduction in the pH. I know, it's better to have a stable pH than a perfect pH, but the Rams aren't your typical fish when it comes to survival in higher pH aquariums. With your test results, they aren't perfect conditions for South American Cichlids. If you tried to up the hardness in the tank with some limestone or crushed coral, then you'd have the perfect conditions for many Malawi Cichlids. I only mention altering the water chemistry because you said you are looking for fish to spawn. If it is done properly and naturally, you won't have any issues with pH swings and so on.

Yea, Im aware that the favorite fish question is a bit unfair for me...LOL :(
I really dont like the idea of having to get a RO/DI but who knows it is an option.. :mrgreen:
Any show type fish that would do well, ie spawn, in my tap water parameters?

I'd increase the hardness of the water, then try with the Africans. I've heard that the yellow labs are easy to breed, but I haven't been able to do it yet. Then again, mine are still about 3 inches in size and I haven't altered the environment with the rocky decor and such. :D I'm going to try and breed the labs and the Acei's when they become of size.

Ive been informed in chat that I could spawn discus in my water peramiters.. anything but heckles.. any oppinions on that?

Accept the challenge and get the discus. It's what you ultimately want, and you're prepped and skilled enough to do it. :wink:

Yup. I'd have to agree with Brian. It's what you want, so why ask? Just go ahead and do what you want.

BrianNY said:
Accept the challenge and get the discus. It's what you ultimately want, and you're prepped and skilled enough to do it. :wink:

:oops: Thank you for the complements.. I fell like they are anyway :oops:
It looks like Ive got some more work to do then to get ready!!! I think I have more questions on this front then... but Ill add them to your discussion thread.. :D

greenmaji...my apologies, forgot to add my two cents to this thread. :)

I would think that some beautiful Koi angels would look extremely nice paired with your discus. :wink:

If you research them, you will find that breeder's are fetching very decent prices for their spawns

Just a thought.

Jchillin.... ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!
How many times do I have to hear about those Koi Angels!!! LOL!.. was it 10 times in chat and some kind of OOOOOOOooooooHHHHHHhhhhhhAAAAAaaaaaOOOOOooooHHHHhhhhhAAAAAaaaaaaOOOO
Mind control trick! If you see them in my tanks later well your mind control would have worked!
Im thinking the little woman would have to really dig them for me to get them though!..LOL

Mind control? From someone as innocent as I? I should think not!! :)

Koi's are just the thing to compliment your discus tank and you if happen to be able to spawn both discus and koi's, you'll be the toast of the town :king:

People will be knocking down your door to get at your precious stock.

--------------->Koi Angels<---------------
(((((((((((((((((Koi Angels)))))))))))))))))

ROFL!!!!

To be honest with you JC I would need more tanks to do both discus and angels... I would want to start off with 6 juvs. of each if I want to get at least one breeding pair of each.. That and I dont think there would be room for 6 full grown adult discus and a breeding pair of angles in my 75 gallon tank... If anyone wants to throw some bigger tanks my way Id be set..LOL I have smaller tanks and excess filtration for trade. LOL :king:

I have a 5, 10 and a strange sized 22.5(exactly half of a standard 55 in dementions). I want a 29, 30 , or 30 breeder as it stands right now.. LOL I would need at least another 75 and one of the ~30 gallons + a nice sized grow out tank if I wanted to do both! LOL.. Or just trade the 75 in for a 150! 8O :mrgreen: MTS where! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom