Returning the Nicrew. Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
The very short version is that we started with a 10 long gallon in a window, upgraded to a 29, put the 10 back up, and then moved both to another room using only ambient light. Upgraded the 10 to a 20 long, got a Current Satellite Plus, realized just what I was missing for light, bought a Nicrew, and realized just why lights for planted tanks cost what they do. I'm returning the Nicrew because I don't like the construction, light temperature, or cord. Now I need a different 30" light. I know there are plenty of threads all over the internet about what lighting people prefer, and I know budgets always come into play, but I'm curious about strategies.

Is it possible to get something like a 30" Current Satellite Plus or Finnex Planted (both LED, of course) for less than $80? Something of similar quality? Where should I look? Ebay is surprisingly disappointing. I'm fine with used, refurbished, and cosmetically lacking. I want something solid and good for my plants that won't wash out the tank.

Chihiros a series is probs the cheapest / best bang for buck fixture you can get. Depends what your planning to grow. If u want a high lighting fixture then be prepared to drop some pretty serious coin. Beam works would be fine for a medium to low light fixture.

Chihiros a series is probs the cheapest / best bang for buck fixture you can get. Depends what your planning to grow. If u want a high lighting fixture then be prepared to drop some pretty serious coin. Beam works would be fine for a medium to low light fixture.
Do you have any first-hand experience with Chihiros? Specifically how adjustable they are? 30" is 76cm, and it looks like they have a 60cm and 80cm. Is there a better place to buy than eBay?

The only thing I have that needs high light is the microsword. It was doing great in the window... There's hardly any left.

My fancy plants get the Current Satellite.

I wondered about Beamworks. They have good reviews on Amazon.
Wait nevermind my bad it was 36" ergghhhhh I messed up
Strange. The 30" is $90.

This is a decent beamsworks
Beamswork DA FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Full Spectrum 24 30 36 48 72 | eBay
Negative is flipper switch so no timer for day night.. Must be flipped manually
Plus is price and lack of too many blues with decent red and green which are important to plants[the red especially].
Beamsworks has many models many marine...Be careful what you get..
Thanks for this information.

Do the lights specify whether they are better for marine setups? I guess I need to learn more about the difference.

Marine in this group of light will just have more blue and be aprox. 10,000k for the whites.Many will not have any Red or green
They will say somewhere on all links for beamsworks.They are good for low/medium light I believe..I got my 30" 24/7 for like $79!:tgv:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00U0HMWLI/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

$85.94 ?? close to $80 ?

Finnex is due their upgrade any day, so this may even go on sale eventually or be priced lower? Just speculation on price ,but the next gen 24/7 is coming...

I have a little Beamsworks (10") which grows low light and medium.

There's a 36" RGB Current USA and 48-60" work good. There is an option which is great for refurb units, they rate them with an A for excellent or B for good, also keep notice about whether it is white/blue or RGB LED lighting.

The lights are listed like 36-48" which means 36" is in the size of the light bar. The side braces hold it for the extra up to 6" on each side.

***SALE*** Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Fixture: 24" - 36" (#4006-A / Refurb) | eBay

I have a little Beamsworks (10") which grows low light and medium.

There's a 36" RGB Current USA and 48-60" work good. There is an option which is great for refurb units, they rate them with an A for excellent or B for good, also keep notice about whether it is white/blue or RGB LED lighting.

The lights are listed like 36-48" which means 36" is in the size of the light bar. The side braces hold it for the extra up to 6" on each side.

***SALE*** Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Fixture: 24" - 36" (#4006-A / Refurb) | eBay
That is *exactly* what I want.

I have been using the 48"-60" it was a refurb A and it is doing well, it really looked brand new, and came in a good box like it was new too.

The batteries are button 2025 for the remote, maybe if you see a good deal, pick up a pack just in case. Mine lasted over a year. Also bought the smaller one for the 36-48" used, and it is also doing well.

I haven't ever really got to know how to do all the programming. But it is good enough with the stock pre-programmed buttons. There is a preprogrammed full blast button too.

I have been using the 48"-60" it was a refurb A and it is doing well, it really looked brand new, and came in a good box like it was new too.

The batteries are button 2025 for the remote, maybe if you see a good deal, pick up a pack just in case. Mine lasted over a year. Also bought the smaller one for the 36-48" used, and it is also doing well.

I haven't ever really got to know how to do all the programming. But it is good enough with the stock pre-programmed buttons. There is a preprogrammed full blast button too.
Oh don't worry- I'm sold on the light. It's what my parents gave me for Christmas. It *was* Christmas, as far as I care.

Refurbished is just fine by me. Benefits of eBay!

Back
Top Bottom