returning to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davidfrances

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help: I'm returning to the hobby after a 4 year sabbatical (I moved from OH to SC 4 years ago and lost 2 reefs (75 & 55 gal) and 2 55 gal. fish only tanks - everything died during the move).

I'm now in the process of setting up a 120 gal. Berlin type reef - All Glass aquarium with 2 internal overflows, 2x 250 watt 20,000k metal halide 2x 40 watt actinics. I'd like some advice on the following:

BEST sump mounted protein skimmer (regardless of price)?
Is my lighting sufficient for hard/soft corals? (I'm recycling some old equipment)
What is the current opinion on wet dry filters (I also have a 13 year old Lifereef w/d)?
BEST source of live rock (Mail order, my LFS suck, I used to use Flying Fish)?
Advice on Ozone - should I use or not?

I belive your lights will be sufficent. Assuming your not recycling the bulbs of course. With 20K bulbs you might not need any additional actinic as from what I understand the 20K's have a nice white/blue apperance to them to begin with.

You can run the wet/dry until you start to experence nitrate issue (if you ever do). If you start having a rise in nitrates that you cant control with regular water changes, etc then you can slowly remove the bioballs and juse the wet/dry more as a sump.

I used to use Flying fish and I liked them alot. I was deeply sadend when they got purchased. Many of our members rave over the liverocks.com rock.

My advice on ozone is that you will know when you need it if you need it. Ozone is not something that the 'average' hobbists will need to mess with. I use the word average because I belive Ozone should only be used in specialty tanks where you need that kind of boost.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, initially I will be recycling the bulbs to cycle out the liverock. After 4 years in storage, they still work! As soon as I cycle that tank I'll gradually phase in the 20,000k bulbs. My light system is an old Hamilton MH / fluorescent combo. Any suggestions on bulbs to replace the actinics with?

Back
Top Bottom