Rich's 125 Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rdnelson99 said:
Lets see.....free trip to Florida......chance to see your set ups and maybe the new store...... LOL

My wife is in Daytona right now. Wish I could have gone along but.....

Lol. Excuses excuses

following along, great build. and to mimic everybody else's comments, your attention to detail in the plumbing is amazing.

Thanks. I have to admit, it is surprising to me how everyone is commenting on the plumbing. I didn't realize plumbing was all that sexy. LOL Guess it comes from 30+ years in the electrical trade. It only takes a minute longer to make it look nice usually. :)

Have it full of tap and running in the driveway right now while I work in the house. I run out and check it now and again but so far, no leaks and it seems to be doing great. Hopefully tonight, I can post pics of my DIY ATO (have to remove it from the 45 gal) installed and some of the electrical ready to go. Not sure I will make it but the current plan is to do the transfer on Thursday night. :)

Thanks. I have to admit, it is surprising to me how everyone is commenting on the plumbing. I didn't realize plumbing was all that sexy. LOL Guess it comes from 30+ years in the electrical trade. It only takes a minute longer to make it look nice usually. :)

the true reasoning(in my head) for mentioning it is that most people just slap some pipes together & don't think ahead of how they're going to work around in that area & how it'll look because it's hidden under the stand. out of site, out of mind you know.

the true reasoning(in my head) for mentioning it is that most people just slap some pipes together & don't think ahead of how they're going to work around in that area & how it'll look because it's hidden under the stand. out of site, out of mind you know.

You are exactly right. I hate having to reach around stuff and fight to access it. Especially when I am down on the floor. With my knees, the less time I spend down there the better. LOL

When i was getting ready to order my mew tank i had the options of how i wanted them to set up my overflows, size of bulk heads etc.... In my case for my 135 i elected to have one massive internal center overflow with a 2 inch bulkhead., that feeds into two 1" pipes which runs into the sump... Its super easy and clean but doesn't look nearly as cool as your nuclear reactor looking setup.
Will you be able to access the plumbing from behind your tank once its setup? I think in the perfect world it'll be neat if you could actually walk behind your tank for maintenance etc.

When i was getting ready to order my mew tank i had the options of how i wanted them to set up my overflows, size of bulk heads etc.... In my case for my 135 i elected to have one massive internal center overflow with a 2 inch bulkhead., that feeds into two 1" pipes which runs into the sump... Its super easy and clean but doesn't look nearly as cool as your nuclear reactor looking setup.
Will you be able to access the plumbing from behind your tank once its setup? I think in the perfect world it'll be neat if you could actually walk behind your tank for maintenance etc.

The tank will be angled in a corner with both ends pretty close to a wall. The right side where the overflow is will be next to the fireplace so I can reach around and get at the valves and unions. The union on the return line was located as low as possible so I could reach through the stand (maybe) and get to it. Won't be easy but it was the best I could do. I put the valves in the discharge lines of the return so I can regulate flow. I knew if I put one in the 1" riser I would never be able to reach it.

Here is a video I took while on a smoke break a few minutes ago. LOL It was intended to show how quiet this is and how much flow I am getting but the iPhone really magnifies the sound. Trust me, it is whisper quiet. Love the Bean Animal Overflow method.

125 Leak Test - YouTube

Tomorrow is the day. By the time I crash tomorrow night, I should have this thing up and running. My biggest concern was keeping corals alive because I have not received my new LED fixtures yet. I had pretty much decided I would leave my suspended T5s hanging and leave the canopy off the tank. But, my favorite LFS had an anniversary sale and I won one of the drawings. Tonight I picked up a 36"-48" Marinland Reef Compatible LED fixture. While it would not be a good solution long term, it should keep me going until my other fixtures arrive in a few days. I love it when a plan comes together. This fixture sells on Amazon for like $300.00. :)

Things are still looking great! I do have to agree with everyone on the plumbing, great job. I just finished my first try at hard plumbing my 55 yesterday. Was not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Had no leaks first try at it, so I'm happy. My only wish would have been having room under the tank to put the sump, rather than behind to hide most of the plumbing. But with it all out like it is and being hidden behind the tank, I'm not too worried. That and I can see all of my work anytime I walk behind it for maintenence. Really cool setup.

Oh, and I liked how you described your leak. When I got my return pump plumbed together, I picked it up and ran up to my parent's house with a bucket of tap water. They came back from eating out just in time to see me firing water off their porch. Lol.

LOL Yup, I bet very few can put a tank together and not have at least one woops. That is why I did it in the driveway. I knew better. LOL When it first happened I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then it dawned on me that almost the entire flow from the 1600 gal/hr pump was trying to go through the skimmer. Blew the cap right off it. LOL

And so we begin. Tank and sump are empty. Taking a quick break to run out and pick up dinner for my daughter and I because I know I won't have time to feed her later. LOL I guess it is more important to keep her alive then the fish and corals huh?

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 168
rdnelson99 said:
And so we begin. Tank and sump are empty. Taking a quick break to run out and pick up dinner for my daughter and I because I know I won't have time to feed her later. LOL I guess it is more important to keep her alive then the fish and corals huh?

Just a little bit. After all- its easier to say "honey my coral died can we get a new one" than the alternative.

Just a little bit. After all- its easier to say "honey my coral died can we get a new one" than the alternative.

LOL especially since both she and I are fixed. LOL

OK, it is after 1:00 AM. Tank is up and running, all coral and fish have been acclimated and are all in the tank. I am beat and I am ready for bed. But not before I show off a bit. :cool:

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 135
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 169
Finished Product

Got the family room whipped back into shape and the doors on it. Now it is time to fill this baby with some cool fish and corals. (y) Well, first I have to replenish my reef budget but there is nothing wrong with going slow right?

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 168
Looks like my (not so) little one approves of our new 72" Flat Screen! Hehehe

Attachments

• image-4236314677.jpg
    image-4236314677.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 137
rdnelson99 said:
Got the family room whipped back into shape and the doors on it. Now it is time to fill this baby with some cool fish and corals. (y) Well, first I have to replenish my reef budget but there is nothing wrong with going slow right?

Such an awesome job - very nicely done.

Back
Top Bottom