Right GPH And Filter Options For Fancy Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndreaM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, great forum, i found lots of question already answered and learned sooo much!
I’m planning about an aquarium with 1 to 3 fancy goldfish.

I read that I’ve to count 20 gallons for the first goldfish, and other 10 for each additional goldfish. I also read that I’ll need to filter the whole tank x10 times each hour. Finally, I read about the “never too much filtration” versus “you can have too much current” guidelines.

All that means:

1 fancy goldfish - 40 gallons - 400 GPH filter
2 fancy goldfish - 60 gallons - 600 GPH filter
3 fancy goldfish - 80 gallons - 800 GPH filter

My Problem is that, whichever one I’ll choose, I can’t put the aquarium in its own stand, but I’ll have to choose some existing (sturdy) furniture (small apartment).

That means that, if I choose a canister filter, it will be placed on the same surface, on the side of the tank. I read that one can do that as long as it’s under the water level. That can be a problem, as the biggest GPH are quite big (I’ve looked at eheim classic in first place) and they can reach the height of the tank (the plastic pipes should make an “S” from the end of the Lily Pipe up to the canister)

On the other hand, if I ‘surrend’ to an hang on filters (like, for example, the Hagen Aquaclear) I’ll have not ‘placement’ problems, but I’ll be unable to use Lily Pipes that, in the case of the “spiral/spin” model or the “round cup” model, can considerably reduce the output flow (I’ve also seen some ideas to reduce flow in Aquaclear models, but to me they appear very unaesthetic, plus I’m not a big fan of DIY). On top of that, I got this idea that canister are better, and I dunno if an hang on filter while having the right GPH, can do the "goldfish job”.

QUESTIONS:

are my premises correct?
can I lower the GPH?
can I have the canister on the side with “S” piping?
or can hang on filters do well “the goldfish job”?
will the current from hang on filter of correct GPH will be too much?

Thank you for your attention till here, and for the time for your answer if you please! - a very excited Aquarist Wannabe

There are lots of ways to filter a tank. Don't concern yourself too much with flow. High flows aren't necessary for good filtration. That is to say, if a filter maintains 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite it is sufficient. A filter with a low flow may leave visible debris, which can easily be removed before it breaks down. This will slow the build up of nitrates. On the other hand, if you have a a high flow filter that removes all visible debris, but stores it in a can (like a cannister), then, consider that all that debris is still in the tank; you just can't see it.
Filters such as Hamburg/mattenfilters work at a very low flow rate, do a great job and have almost no maintenance. I would be quite happy to filter a tank like that with an AC filter, because they are so easy to clean. It can be done every water change without even turning the filter off.

@BillD thank you! Nice to know i could go with hang on back, but it's my first time ad I'm a bit curious of this canisters all talk about. I think I've figured this out...

Ok, lot of self research and a bit of compromise with reality and space issues.

This will be the setup:

2 fancy goldfish

ADA 'bare' glass tank
60 x 45 x 45 cm (about 24 x 18 x 18 inches)
121,5 liters (about 32 gallons)

Eheim classic canister filter
model 600 id 2217
x 1000 liters per hour (about 264 GPH)
Height 40 cm (about 16 inches)
Diameter 20,5 cm (about 8 inches)

Thank all.

All I can help with is the logistics ...

Do you already have the furniture to hold the tank?

I use a coffee table for my 29. Many coffee tables can't stand the weight but some can. I tested mine with the weight of 3 people and the opinion of some people in construction.

Mine is an old school desk, dropped to its lowest height. I put a steamer trunk underneath that holds supplies and pulls out, and conceals some of the mechanicals behind. Many solid wood mission style coffee tables can take the weight, and hold attractive boxes underneath that are accessible and that conceal things.

It's lower than aquariums usually are but IMO just right for sitting on the couch staring at the fish.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yes, mine should be sturdy. 12-13 inches height, tree legs cross the whole width (two on the extremities one in the center).
It's my only option. thanks

Back
Top Bottom