Rinsing filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hate when I take the media basket with the media in it out of my filter to rinse it and when I put it back in I push the basket down and push the media down into the basket, particles and crap get released into the tank-negating the water change I just did.

Ann...

The material that goes back into the tank doesn't mean your tank isn't clean after a water change. The little bit of plant and fish material simply dissolves and is diluted to a very safe level in all the new water. You still have a tank with a safe water chemistry. Just make sure you change most of the tank water weekly, this way you guarantee pure water conditions for whatever you have living there.

B

Do you rinse the filter unit itself out, too? Every 4-6 weeks I take the filter off the tank and rinse all the solids out of it in the tank water I'm removing that day. Lots of stuff can accumulate under those baskets!

Do you rinse the filter unit itself out, too? Every 4-6 weeks I take the filter off the tank and rinse all the solids out of it in the tank water I'm removing that day. Lots of stuff can accumulate under those baskets!

No, I don't, but only because I have a physical disability and I like to be independent with my tank so it would be hard for me to remove the filter from the tank, especially without trying to spill the water that's in it.

Gotcha! If your filter is self-priming and you can snake a hose or gravel vac into the unit that could get a lot of the detritus, too.

Gotcha! If your filter is self-priming and you can snake a hose or gravel vac into the unit that could get a lot of the detritus, too.

That's a good idea! Never thought of that.

Back
Top Bottom