RIP: Neon Rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco

Aquarium Advice Freak
I lost one to a cyst like thing that was growing near its gills. A month or so later i lost my 2nd one to something, though I don't know what. Maybe stress from being alone, though i never saw anything pick on it.

Saturday i noticed that he was swimming pretty much at the surface of the water line, Sunday same thing, this morning same, about 1 hour ago dead :(

I don't see anything growing on him, the water params are perfectly fine.

Sometimes this hobby gets depressing.... And frustrating since it would be nice to figure out why a fish died...

-Pleco

Do you have the tank with a bubbler? Swimming at the surface is an indication there isn't enough oxygen dissolved in the water for the fish to breathe. That's a possibility.

I have a bubbler, the tank has more than adequate surface agitation, and a pretty good current, this is the only fish that has done this. I don't think oxygen was the issue as all the other fish seem perfectly fine and none go up for air. I was looking for that though. This hobby just frustrates me at times :(

-Pleco

I'm sorry about your rainbow. :(

It IS frustrating to lose fish, whether you know why or not. I've come to realize losses are part of the hobby. If you know you're doing everything you can, sometimes you just have to chalk it up to stuff that's out of your control.

Sorry to hear about the losses. I'm wondering if it might be parasites.... Something internal and not visible.

Hmm... cyst you say? Might be some sort of ulcer. My fish get it all the time. I lost 90% of my fish because of that and now I just recently noticed that my sunset gourami has one on his lip. The last time one of my gouramis had one on his lip he ended up loosing his bottom lip. I got my new UV Sterilizer today, hopefully this would solve my disease problems.

Just so you all know, when I first got my rainbowfish, I had the exact same thing. I showed pics to Pleco, and he said it looks just like them, and if not, very similar then. This was a while ago. The only difference, mine was by the dorsal fin, and his was at the gills. Here is what it looks like. I had to do some digging to locate the pics on my server when I posted them over a year ago. And just so you know, he had this for about 5-6 weeks and then it disappeared. Never seen it since.

26g32.jpg

26g33.jpg

26g34.jpg

26g35.jpg

Back
Top Bottom