Rising Temperature in Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunilgeorge1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a 70 Gallon tank with couple of GoldFish, Apple Snails and Dwarf Neon Rainbows. Over the last week the temp. in the aquarium has risen to 84 F. I live in India and we have just gotten over winter, the room temp. is about the same. I have checked all the equipment and none of them are causing the change in temp.

If you guys could suggest some way of reducing the temp. in the tank, going forward I will surely have a serious problem when summer settles in.

Cheers,
Sunil

if the room temp is 84 the only really way to lower the temp is with a chiller or like dkpate said is lower the temp of the room. you can put fans and use ice bottles but thats a very short term fix.

Haha, ampa one, I hear you. I'm in PA and feel like I've been living in Quebec the last couple months. I'm ready for the spring already!

Sunil, there is no natural way to cool down a tank to significantly below ambient temp. Chillers are EXPENSIVE and relatively rare in the aqarium trade. Allowing for good evaporation will at least keep the tank about the same temp as ambient (can get a degree or 2 cooler if you really try with fans and such), also if you have lighting on the tank try to move it further away from the surface of the water (or have it on less hours of the day), change the light to a higher efficiency bulb (less heat), keep the room darker, but basically if your ambient temp is 84F now and it's only going to get hotter most of those options don't really help.

My tank is in our office and I have a window A/C unit that I have set to 76-78F. When the room gets hotter than that the A/C kicks on and drops the temp.

My main concern is your goldfish. They really are a cooler water fish and would be worried about stress/disease from the longterm hot weather....

HTH

Back
Top Bottom