Ritteri anemone and lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank's (29 gallon FOWLR) been cycled for about 6 months now. I recently built my own hood to match the cabinet below the tank and I'm about to upgrade the lighting. I'm installing a VHO ballast with a 10,000K and a actinic blue which will give me 150 watts or over 5 watts per gallon.

I'm thinking about purchasing an anemone. I have a pair of false percs (yeah, I know that they sometimes won't host) and I'm wondering which would be the best anemone for this tank/lighting and these fish. I know that a BTA probably requires less light than the Ritteri but I like the looks of the latter. Anyone have experience with one or both? Anything I should consider?

Thanks.

I don't know enough about ritteri anemones to offer an opinion but, have you considered a long tenticle anemone? It would do fine under those lights. And for sure the bta would be a fine choice.

Thanks for your reply.

I was going by something I read somewhere about certain clownfish and the anemones that each prefer. In the case of the false perc the article named the ritteri, bubble, carpet and saddle I believe. I'm pretty sure that the carpet and unfortunately the ritteri may grow too big for my size tank. But I definately like the looks of the longer tentacled anemones.

There are anemones who are natural host to certain clowns but, I've had false percs that were accepted by sebae anemones so I don't think it's really so important to get a compatable anemone. It's hit or miss rather they take to the anemone or not. I also had false percs go in rosebulb anemones but yet others who completely ignored bta's and lta anemones. The clowns I have now prefer to irritate my corals and ignore the anemones.

the ritteri will perish 99% of the time and if it does not it will get to large for a 29. stick with the BTA.

I wouldn't worry to much about what anenome you buy because 4 months ago I bought 10 tankraised clownfish (percs) and I was so worried that they would not go into any of our anenomes. We have nine and I don't know any of their names but after 1 month 5 of them went into 1 anenome and then the rest discovered another one, and now they have discovered all the others and they think it's unreal. 2 of our anenomes we have at the front of the tank are enormous and watching them swim in and out of it is such a joy. The funny thing is they are starting to hang around our clams and a few of our soft corals. Strange. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom