River Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, the next experiment begins next week. I am converting a 45 gal tank that had a broken center brace (thus no good for an aquarium anymore) into a River Tank with a kit from http://www.abundantearth.com and going to see what happens. I thought this might be something fun to do, and didn't cost much since I already had the tank and such. Has anyone had any experience with River Tanks. I have read about everything online and heard mixed reviews about them (but then again, if you look up aquarium reviews in general, some people just don't get it and give it bad reviews). I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience. I will follow up once I get it started next week.

I have seen this kits in the LFS before. I think they are usualy called terrerariums or something like that.

Usually they have a section for fish and then an area of land with a pump that pumps water from the fish section up and then down a simulated river bed.

river tank

What do you call a river tank? Is it an aquarium with water and a part of it like a river bank with plants growing out of it or a terrarium where there's no water and animals like iguanas or scorions?

river tank

I've heard of these and seen the kits. Sounds interesting. I would be very interested in seeing pics and hearing how things go as you set it up. Sounds like a neat tank!
Logan J

Nikki-
The river tank setup I am looking at has basically has several different pools at different depths. A pump moves water from the lowest pool into a filter system behind the insert and then out to the deepest pool. The top has several ledges and such, and there are several rock shelves that use hydroponics to grow common house plants. I've heard some neat stories about fish (zebra danios to be specific) chasing each other through the rapids and from pool to pool.

Hi Guys,

Rivertanks are called Parudariums.

pal.jpg

This site has some cool pics
http://www.geocities.com/~amazingaquaria/fiftyp.htm

Overhead.jpg

This site also has some cool pics
http://www.geocities.com/river_tank/

Hey there Bearfan, make sure you post some pics when you are done.

River tanks are Paludariums, but typically are called River Tanks due to the constant flow of water. Most Paludariums are not flowing are represent more of a marsh type enviornment, or something as simple as a plexiglass divider with rocks on one side and over 4" of water on the other. The term Paludarium is actually very vague, but entirely accurate.

I have a river tank and I always have problems with my fish ending up at the botom where there is less water. Nothing worked to keep them in the big part. I like the setup alot though. One thing not to try is to have a anole in the tank because they always fall in the water. Tree frogs and newts make good inhabitants.

how fast does the water flow? if it's a bit quicker, hillstream loaches would be VERY interesting. i had one that could make it up into my whisper no problem.

Good thought, I might look into hillstream loaches, they're an interesting looking fish.

UPDATE

Okay, I finally got the river tank kit, took it out (partly), boxed it up and will return it this weekend. What a piece of junk. Flimsy cheap plastic and all, bad gaps, just bad.

So that was not good, I was looking forward to that. So I decided I am to design my own waterfall tank. I've done some pencil drawings, and am going to experiment.

The desire for something different has overcome cheap product. I'll keep you updated with pics as I build it.

So I decided I am to design my own waterfall tank. I've done some pencil drawings, and am going to experiment.

YES!!!

Thats one of the most fun (and sometimes frustratin) things about this hobby! Experimenting, building your own decor, or whtever comes to mind is cool. When you get it done you will have a great satisfaction out of creating it yourself.

Good luck with it, Bearfan!

Well, the experiment started today. Two 1/4" lucite dividers and the start of the waterfall base. I think I'm high from all of the silicone odors. I decided I wanted the waterfall out of small random rocks, so we'll see. As for the plan...I change it hourly...

I think they are really cool I was looking at a trarium book at the lfs and was almost going to buy it i was really think with info.
a rivertank i know a guy who was thinking of building one but not having so much land I pretty sure he said he was going to make it coldwater aswell?

not to sure on them myself.

Keep us posted! I'm really excited to see your progress!

I'm hoping that, with my next house (when I get my own yard, I'm in a townhouse now), that I can do an outdoor coldwater pond with a small waterfall. It's fun to watch your tank though!

Keep posting pics! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom