RIVERCATS 220G Transformation Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
River, how long did it take your Parva to stand up after planting? Mine have been in for three weeks and they're still laying flat. I'm grilling us some steaks this evening but will try the test experiment after supper. OS.

A lot of crypts will stay flat on the substrate if given enough light. It looks kind of silly with wider leaf species.

Yes it does Aqua. The parva may not last too much longer with me. It just isn't looking like I want. I'll probably keep spreading out my AR mini as it grows. It makes a beautiful carpet and the Corys love swimming into the leaves.
Janis, Aqua, I did the tests just now and the half dose test didn't do as I expected. The actual color was about the same as the full strength normal test, but the opaqueness or intensity was just less. BTW, the NO3 is down to 15 and the PO4 is up to a solid 2.0. Got a concern though, my KH is now down to between 2 & 3. I'd really like it at 4 to 5. Would it help the plants to add a little Bicarb? or Epsom Salt? OS.

Use the test kits per instructions for normal dilution. I should have said that in my other post.

Oh, and I found this, which is kind of what I was talking about with the wide leaf species for anyone that was interested. That one's actually starting to come up after I reduced light even.They'll literally be flat in some circumstances.

OS my little patch of Parva is pretty flat. Now that some of the plants have grown much bigger they stand up alittle more in the shade.

How about trying some Downoi? Lord knows I can send you some with the PE and Cuba.

Your numbers are looking pretty good for nitrates and phosphates. So is your Kh and Gh falling even with weekly 50% WC's? You could use them but since I haven't messed with using either for years I don't even know how much to tell you to dose. One person I know who was having trouble with these numbers that crushed coral and other things did help started using Equilibrium, just enough to raise the water to the proper Gh and Kh and it's been working for months. Just throwing some ideas out there since your on roll!

I think my KH may be temporary as our water supply lake's watershed is in all pure unspoiled forest land with no agriculture. The recent heavy rains filled the lake back up from 60% low. So the water hasn't had time to pick up carbonates from the geology. But if it doesn't go back up to 4 or 5 in a month I'll try something.
Send me some downi to play with. Not much as after the Cuba and PE I'll not have much room left. Thank you very much.
You may want to start closing your bedroom door when you go to sleep since you put CO2 in your 220. I wouldn't want the plants to get you in your sleep! Might want to keep a machete by the bed too. LMAO OS.

Tank specs

Where did you post your equipment info on your 220g, ? wpg etc.

Beautiful tank!!!

I think my KH may be temporary as our water supply lake's watershed is in all pure unspoiled forest land with no agriculture. The recent heavy rains filled the lake back up from 60% low. So the water hasn't had time to pick up carbonates from the geology. But if it doesn't go back up to 4 or 5 in a month I'll try something.
Send me some downi to play with. Not much as after the Cuba and PE I'll not have much room left. Thank you very much.
You may want to start closing your bedroom door when you go to sleep since you put CO2 in your 220. I wouldn't want the plants to get you in your sleep! Might want to keep a machete by the bed too. LMAO OS.

Well that makes sense why the Gh and Kh have fallen. Your numbers aren't too bad so as long as they don't drop any lower you should be okay!

I'll send some Downoi and if I can cut a couple stems of Tornado I'll send them too. You can put them at one end of the Cuba row. Then you'll have both and can see which one you end up liking better and can cut and replant as needed. The Tornado cuttings will be short unless they really take off with the CO2. They are really slow growers in my tank just like the PE.

I have noticed the L. Pantanal that lost about 1/2 it's color during the power outage has colored back up again. Don't know if it's the CO2 or just having the Halides back on.

Attack plants... right up there with lions and tigers and bears OH MY! Your too funny! But remember the plants have to get through 2 pit bulls that sleep on my bed and the 125 pound Leonberger. I think I might be adequately protected... lol!

Where did you post your equipment info on your 220g, ? wpg etc.

Beautiful tank!!!

Thanks and here is a link to the article that has the tank info on it. The tank has since had an addition of CO2 and a new Build My LED fixture has been added to the existing lighting. Then the plants have been changed a lot from the picture in the article.

I have a small fighting force... I had an army when my 180 pound male Leo and my 120 pound male Kuvsaz were alive and in the mix. The Leo was huge and whenever we took him out people would literally stop in the cars to ask about him. He made the 120 pound dogs look little!

Wow. I couldn't imagine how much dog food they ate. Also can't wait to see the tank with the new lights and plants! So since you are running co2 are you going to cut your glut dose down at all.

LOL i love it! Glad it made you smile. Yes, the few tornados and the Downi will be great. If you have it, send me about 6 of the downi. I researched them and it looks like I would like them better than the Parva in the foreground right side. I'm gonna be in new plant experience heaven!! Thanks so much! OS.

I have a lot of Glut so I'm going to cut it down by 1/3.

Cool cool

LOL i love it! Glad it made you smile. Yes, the few tornados and the Downi will be great. If you have it, send me about 6 of the downi. I researched them and it looks like I would like them better than the Parva in the foreground right side. I'm gonna be in new plant experience heaven!! Thanks so much! OS.

What's this downi I can't seem to find anything about it.

Hi Mike!
It's Pogostemon Helferi aka. Downi. One nickname from Thailand is star grass.
Looks pretty cool. Look on Tropica website for pictures of it used in tanks.
OS.

Stargrass is a different species (Heteranthera zosterifoli), unless it's a name I've never heard of before.

How have you adjusted your PPS dosing so far to account for the higher light and CO2?

Back
Top Bottom