ro/di issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harmy4993

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i got my ro di unit from ebay with garden hose adapter. I plug it all in andturn it on. Im getting water dripping out of the black waste hose but not the blue purified hose. Is there a brean in period or something?

I would start by checking that the water pressure on your water supply is high enough. I think most RO/DI units state the minimum requirement. I'm no expert....but as far as I know higher pressure is required at the "clean" end to force the purified water through than the waste water.

Mine had a little switch to depressurize the unit or something when you were done, maybe check for a similar feature? Did you make sure that wherever you got it from put the hoses all in correctly and in the right places? My waste hose puts out quite a bit and its my good line that drips is why i ask.

I was going to say the same thing that the waste hose will start immediately but it takes a little while for the good water to get through the system.

How long is the tubing from the RO unit. Waste water will start immediately. That pressure should drop as soon as you turn the bypass to the RO unit.
Do you have a pressure guage? Most require at least 40 - 45 psi, but owrk best at 60 - 75 psi. I added a booster pump to my system.

If it's only dripping out of the waste hose, then water is NOT getting in. Check the intake and the sediment filter for a blockage.

Did the whole thing fill up with water? On mine (I have clear filter housings), I watched it fill up with water, only opening the valve to let the air out. I also wanted to let the booster pump prime. A lot of air came out the first time I used it so that might be your problem. And yes, a lot of water comes out of the waste line. On mine specifically, 3x more water will come out of the waste line than the RO line. So if you make 5 gallons, you waste 15. On many units, it's 4x or 5x. Booster pumps and room temperature water makes units more efficient.

EDIT: If you don't have clear housings, just try to lift your unit a bit. If it's REALLY heavy, then there is water in it. If it's just as light as when you started, then you have a problem...

Back
Top Bottom