RO/DI Question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g which I want to make into a reef setup... it is currently cycling right now but with tap (conditioned of course)... but before I add fish/rock/inverts etc... I wanted to purchase a filtration system. My question is this... I assume I need (or atleast should strongly consider) the DI filter with the RO setup but do I really need the pressure tank? The ones I am looking at have an optional 3.5 gallon tank... What is the point really? 3.5 doesn't even cover a partial change so it probably won't save all that much time. Any opinions?

BTW does anyone have any advice on other starter parts I may need? I have a canister style filter right now so I am not really sure what is compatible or helpful with this type of setup.

If you're still shopping for a RO/DI unit - go to Ebay and check out the range of products out there. I bought a 110 gal/day 6-stage RO/DI for about $120.00 (shipped) and it came w/everything for an under-the-sink installation. I had no need for the pressure tank so I saved there. I have not tested my purified water with a TDS meter yet, but tests are revealing that it is not totally removing the PO4. I have friends who have same unit and they say that it needs to be broken in with about 100 gallons before performing optimally. Not sure what the logic is there...
Otherwise, the water it produces seems to be very good.

Most reefers use LR/LS as their biological filter and incorporate a sump/refugium for further polishing of the water. You could keep your canister for GAC but would need to clean it alot so it doesn't become biological. Sorry I can't help you with the RO as I use a TWP.

jmc said:
If you're still shopping for a RO/DI unit - go to Ebay and check out the range of products out there. I bought a 110 gal/day 6-stage RO/DI for about $120.00 (shipped) and it came w/everything for an under-the-sink installation. I had no need for the pressure tank so I saved there. I have not tested my purified water with a TDS meter yet, but tests are revealing that it is not totally removing the PO4. I have friends who have same unit and they say that it needs to be broken in with about 100 gallons before performing optimally. Not sure what the logic is there...
Otherwise, the water it produces seems to be very good.

Ya I was looking at the 2004R and it looked like a good deal.

Otherwise why wouldn't I want my canister to act as a bio filter as well?

Back
Top Bottom