RO/DI system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ylreveb20

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a RO/DI system, I took out the DI filter because I read it was bad for freshwater tanks. I live in Phx , Az and water is really hard. What do you suggest?

I do not believe it is bad, the fish just can't really live in PURE/only RO/DI water as it doesn't have minerals needed for them to survive. It is usually mixed in part with tap water, like 50/50 or 25% RO/DI water, 75% tap, usually to adjust for GH/KH and pH.

What kind of fish do you keep?

I have used RO/DI water in my fresh tank for about a year now. I add Seachem equilibrium to add back the minerals my fish need.

I live in California and during the worst part of the drought last year my fish were stressed after water changes. The PPM was high 700+ but I had no idea what was in the water. My hubbie and I, dog and fish all switched to the RO/DI.

Now that we have had some rain the tap water is better so I am now doing 50/50 tap and RO/DI mix.

I also added coral aragonite sand to my canister when I started using the RO/DI. I probably need to add a fresh batch I just realized it's been in there all this time. I'm not sure how long it supports the PH but my KH is a bit low and maybe freshening this up will help.

Back
Top Bottom