RO/DI unit and how it works

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericsze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I understand the concept behind RO/DI, but how do you connect your unit to a water source? Do you have to use some sort of fitting to connect to a faucet, a spicket? Can you just pour water into the thing? I don't think I have the proper plumbing around for such a unit. I've never seen the connections.

Most folks use what is called a saddle valve. This clamps around a cold water line such as the one that goes up to your sink faucet. When you run the valve down for the first time, it pierces the water line. When you turn the valve back to the open position, water will flow through it. Your supply line to the RO unit connects to this saddle valve. You need a minimum of about 40 psi water pressure to get good performance from an RO membrane. Booster pumps are available, but they tend to be pricey. I know the saddle valve sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, but I've never had one fail.

I just got a RO unit and I have just been hooking it up to my faucet with some hardware that I got from home depot untill I find a place to hook it up for good. Works just fine hooking it up to the sink.

Mine is connected to my cold water line that feeds the clothes washer. I have a spigot on the ends of the hot/cold lies to the washer and since my pipes are galvinized I could not use a saddlevalve or atlest did not want to try so I got a 3/4" - 1/4" adaptor that screwed over the spigot. Then I took some plastic 1/4" tubing and connected it to the adaptor and then ran it into my fishroom where my RO/DI unit is located. If you do this method be sure to use plenty of teflon tape to seal the threads and the compression fitting around the tubing.

Back
Top Bottom