RO/DI Unit. Please explain.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've tried to read on what the RO/DI units do.
I dont fully understad. Water flows throught the system and filters the water so it can be re-used?

Are they worth it? What benefits to they have to a Reef system?

Thanks guys.

There is a good article explaining it here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=20

IMO, it's good to use some sort of purified water in your reef tank, be it RO/DI or just DI. I had a RO?DI unit that I can't use because it simply wastes too much water for my little well. I bought DI water from the grocery store and use it. That, along with a skimmer, has drastically reduced the amount of algae in my aquarium.

It also keeps out the little contaminants and junk in your tap water.

I have an RO/DI system. It is a water purification system that you connect to a fresh water source. It does not clean water from your tank to be reused. What it does is purify fresh water so that you can then add the salt and use it for water changes. When using my system, I do not have to condition the water to remove chlorine, the system removes it for me.

My system is a six-stage system. It has a faucet on top of the sink so that my family can get clean water, then it has tubing with a little faucet that is under the sink. I just stretch out that tubing into a bucket, turn on the little faucet to get water for water changes. To the bucket (after adding the water) I add the salt mix, stick in a powerhead or airline tubing and heater to get the water oxygenated and heated to the proper temperature.

I got my system on ebay from... it's either general manufacturing or manufacturing general (that's the manufacturer, no the vendor) but you can do a search on RO/DI systems and you'll see them. There is a product review on this site about it. I paid about $100 for it, but you can get them for a little less, I believe.

FYI, you do not have to add the faucet to the sink top if you don't have a hole for it and don't want to drill it. You can just cap off the tube that would go to the faucet and only use the under-sink faucet if you want. It's still clean water to drink or for water changes. PM if questions, I can probably find a link on ebay for you if you're interested.

Oh i see. It's like one big Brita filter? lol

So the ro/di unit connects to a water source. gets filtered ver very well then can be mixed to be used in you aquarium right?

Thanks again.

ace1uno_00 said:
Oh i see. It's like one big Brita filter? lol

So the ro/di unit connects to a water source. gets filtered ver very well then can be mixed to be used in you aquarium right?

Thanks again.

Exactly.

The RO unit removes all impurities by breaking the water down to the molecular level as it pushes it through the RO membrane. For some it is nesessary because their tap water contains nitrates, phosphates and other stuff. When I first started I had all sorts of nitrate and phosphate issues. I would do countless pwc to no avail. I then checked out tap water and it was the source.

Since I switched to RO no issues. There is a SW additave (osmo-prep) that is recommended to use before you use the RO water to restore some essentials.

I currently purchase my RO water, but an RO unit is on my wish list for x-mas. :wink:

I have a problem posting links, I don't know why, try going to ebay and copy and paste the line below into the search line on the home page. It should come up. If you aren't familiar with ebay, when you go to www.ebay.com, you will see a line that says, "whatever it is, you can get it here." right under that is an empty box. Paste the search criteria in there and click SEARCH. I'm sure you know ebay, everyone does. Let me know if this doesn't work, but I just did it and it worked for me. That's the unit I got and I just love it!

USA 110GPD RO+DI REVERSE OSMOSIS water purification

greenmaji said:
IMHO it is very close to being a must buy..
oh.. Ill add sdellin's link..
sdellin... (diable the BBcode, its a option with normal not quick replies, or use whatever
to post links with bb code in them :p )

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-110GPD-RO-DI-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-water-purification_W0QQitemZ7724744373QQcategoryZ20756QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like using the url tags with long url's to keep the posts from getting wide.. but this post has already got that.. :p

Thanks so much, I'll play around with this to see if I can make links work, it's very frustrating!

Just loaded my 4 5gallon jugs in the car this AM so I can stop on the way home to pick up my RO. If Santa does not come through I know what I am buying on 26 Dec. :D

Thats the unit that I have been thinking about getting. So someone has purchased from these guys and it has been a good deal??

Back
Top Bottom