Ro/di water storage question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spechty37

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I was wondering where you folks store your water once it runs though your ro/di filters. I have a 55 gallon plastic drum I have been using. I top off right from it and my ro/di run to the drum with a automatic shut off on it. My question is can the stored water go bad I have a mag drive in there to keep the water moving. The reason I ask is because when I looked down in the drum it kinda looked like it had an orange tint on the bottom. My tds tester broke about two weeks ago so I ordered another but didn't relies til after I ordered it, it was coming from china and it's not going to be here til the 24th of this month.

I'm storing in a blue container, you know, the one you can borrow for 10$ at grocery store... Some use two...

I have 20g tank, but I know some folks that have bigger than 20g, and they stock the water in a big trash bin. When you deal with higher volumes of water, you should put a powerhead in there, or some algae/nasty things will accumulate in this water...

In my case, I don't run a powerhead/heater in my 16 gallon buck. I just shake it once 3-4 days, and I keep two 1 gallon bottle of this water into the refrigerator. I slowly use 1 gallon per three days. I don't have nasty things in my main container, I keep a bucket reverse side over it to remove lights.

you shouldnt be getting algae in a rodi container unless your filter isnt pulling out what it should be. i use a 40g polymer drum and the only time i run a powerhead or heater in it is the night before just to heat up the water for the pwc. once i do the pwc, powerhead and heater get shut off. never had a single ounce of algae in my container

Personally I never got algae or nasty things in my bottle... RODI units sometime make 1tds water, and I think it's enough on long term for microorganisms to develop.

I fill 5g HD buckets w/ rodi water and then pour those into the 20g brute pail I have next to my tank which is my reservoir. The only thing is I can't fill the pail all the way because when the pump kicks on to fill the sump, it shuts off but the water keeps flowing! I had to zip tie the tubing high up in the stand, now it's just really loud when it falls to the water when filling. So annoying. But, I put the cover on the pail and threw a tablecloth over it. GF approves looks like a nice end table lol. Never had any build up in it, but only had it a month if that. Used a 7g tote for the past year or so, never had flow /heater or any buildup.

But, I put the cover on the pail and threw a tablecloth over it. GF approves looks like a nice end table lol..

Ive spent prob the past 6 months trying to think of a way to pretty up a res. tank enough to set it outside the main footprint of the tank.... and i couldnt think of anything, until this comment! genius! ill just build something to appear as an endtable, but house a tnak in it

Ive spent prob the past 6 months trying to think of a way to pretty up a res. tank enough to set it outside the main footprint of the tank.... and i couldnt think of anything, until this comment! genius! ill just build something to appear as an endtable, but house a tnak in it

You're welcome :)

Here's a pic. This is when I first did it, I just turned the pail 90* so you can't notice the handle through the table cloth. Cost me like 30$ overall lol
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389661062.118826.jpg

I fill 5g HD buckets w/ rodi water and then pour those into the 20g brute pail I have next to my tank which is my reservoir. The only thing is I can't fill the pail all the way because when the pump kicks on to fill the sump, it shuts off but the water keeps flowing! I had to zip tie the tubing high up in the stand, now it's just really loud when it falls to the water when filling. So annoying. But, I put the cover on the pail and threw a tablecloth over it. GF approves looks like a nice end table lol. Never had any build up in it, but only had it a month if that. Used a 7g tote for the past year or so, never had flow /heater or any buildup.

Is this an auto top off system you have set up? If it is, I would like to see pictures if not too much trouble. I've seen a couple YouTube vids, but more examples would be cool as I also have a 55g SL FOWLR and evaporation is fast on it. I find myself manually topping off a gallon every 3 days or so.

Ok I can take pictures tonight as I am at work until 10pm. Basically, I have a toms aqua lifter pump under the stand. Airline tubing on one side that is suction cupped to the bottom of the brute pail covered with the table cloth, another airline tubing mounted under the stand. I got the bracket mount and sensor from autotopoff.com when the water drops below the sensor, it kicks on the pump and fills the sump. Constant water level.

I get a slime clear coating on the tube that is in my ato container and my tds readings change after it sits in that bucket do not know why itdoes that. But never had a discoloration in the containers.

I get a slime clear coating on the tube that is in my ato container and my tds readings change after it sits in that bucket do not know why itdoes that. But never had a discoloration in the containers.

What kind of bucket do you have the water stored in?

What kind of bucket do you have the water stored in?

A 5 - gallon salt mix bucket for my ATO setup. Plus a 55 gallon blue drum.
I can bleach and vinegar those containers till the cows come home but I still get a high reading after the water sits in there for a while. Goes in at 0 TDS but comes out later on like 67+ TDS.

Yeah that's definitely not good. Is there anyway you can switch to a brute pail instead? Never had any issue leaking phosphates or Tds with it.

if its a metal drum then id say thats your source of TDS...unless someone is putting something in the water.

Back
Top Bottom