RO/DI water storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tonynose188

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went out and bought a BRUTE Rubbermaid trash can for storage of my RO/DI water. Then I heard something about phosphate leeching. Anyway then I read that brutes have NSF rating on the bottom does that make it ok????

You should be alright. A lot of us use brute trash cans for our ro/di storage tanks and WC tanks. With no ill effects. As long as its a brand new trash can.

Just setup my 5 stage ro di set-up my pressure was at around 30 psi or so- I ordered a booster pump, my question is I was supposed to leave a tube disconnected a drain carbon dust from unit, I didn't do that because I didn't see the note. Should I flush out the unit or do I need too replace filters?

You need to flush each stage out individually. Start with the first, then hook it up to the second and flush both, then the third, and so on. Otherwise, you're just sending everything downstream.

I've also heard people say that Brute cans leech phosphates, but I never experienced any issues.

I've also heard people say that Brute cans leech phosphates, but I never experienced any issues.

I did have a recent problem with a trash can.... wasn't a Brute brand, though. After my water mixed for a day, it had brown crud floating on top, and when I pumped it into a white 5g bucket, it had a brown haze to it. After letting the bucket sit for a day or two, the haze settled out to a brown layer on the bottom.....
I checked my RODI and confirmed 0 TDS, pulled out my powerhead & heater and mixed a small batch in a 5g bucket to see if something was up with the salt, but no issues. I tested the water in the trash can & got 0 phosphates or nitrates, but it was definitely leeching something. It wasn't dust, as the lid was always on, and I tried scrubbing it out multiple times, but brown "stuff" kept reappearing. The can itelf was the only variable I couldn't eliminate....

Iam getting. 004 tds from my system is that exceptiable or should I add another Di chamber

mfdrookie516 said:
That's perfectly acceptable IMO.

Thanks I thought so I just wanted to make sure, since this is my first 20 gallons of water from this filter should I dump it then use new 20 gallons?

Did u let the filter run for.30 mins first then make yur water if not yea I'd dump it and make new you always wanna flush new filters

bskerrichard27 said:
Did u let the filter run for.30 mins first then make yur water if not yea I'd dump it and make new you always wanna flush new filters

I made close to 20 gallons of ro/Di water, so I will dump that and make a new batch. I have another simple question, when should I do my first water change what should my ammonia levels be before I do it.

I may have missed this but are you cycling a tank? If so is it a fishless cycle? If u are doing a cycle with fish you wanna keep up the pwc to keep ammonia low so it don't kill the fish... If you are doing a fishless cycle no pwc is needed till after the cycle...

bskerrichard27 said:
I may have missed this but are you cycling a tank? If so is it a fishless cycle? If u are doing a cycle with fish you wanna keep up the pwc to keep ammonia low so it don't kill the fish... If you are doing a fishless cycle no pwc is needed till after the cycle...

I am all done with the cycle but I was wondering when to do a water change, what ammonia level is recommended to do the first change.

What size is yur tank? Normallly 20% a month is plenty depending on skimmer bioload and size of tank

Back
Top Bottom