RO H2O Filtration System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unwritten

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently became attached to this one salt water shop on route 9... AquaOceans. The guys there have been pretty straight forward with me and have been teaching me alot of what I need to know in order to keep one of my nems alive.

I am learning about the RO filtration and they sell it there for $0.50 a gallon, which isn't bad but I have a 20 gallon and a 45 gallon set up and am looking into setting up a seahorse tank eventually.

So obviously I think it would be more benifical if I buy the filtration system myself.
So my question is I saw a link on Amazon for one 5 stage on sale for $122.99.
The guy can sell me one 4 stage for $150.

Here is the link. Should I be all over this one?

Amazon.com: 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System With Storage Tank Removes Fluoride: Home Improvement

Since that is a drinking water system, designed for under counter install, it has stuff you don't need, such as the storage tank and tap. Theoretically, you should be able to find the system, less tank and tap for significantly less.

Hey, I like the tank thing, and the tanks cost about $50 to buy separately, you may not need a tank, but I rather enjoy having 3g of filtered water anytime I need it. Kinda look at it like an extra bucket in a way.

How much do they RO systems usually run for? I have a guy who is trying to sell me a four stage RO system for $150

The price varies from place to place. Personally I will stick with either SpectraPure or Bulk Reef Supply. Plenty of other units out there but these are the two I have most confidence in and can't recall ever seeing any negatives about either. I also like the fact that you see them recommended on many sites for the quality, customer service, etc....

I bought a SpectraPure about two years ago. Everything I could find was positive on the unit and there was plenty of legit data, facts, etc... to support claims and not just some kid saying it was the best unit they had every used (in their 1 month salt water experience). Once Marine Depot started selling the units it seems they have become a little more popular. I know of several locally that use BRS units with no issues.

Be careful buying used RO/DI units. Most will need filter replacements and end up being more expensive (old unit + new filters) than buying a completely new unit.

Back
Top Bottom