RO vs Tap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourmyclowns

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an opportunity to install an ro system in my house. Of course I was gung-ho to do this for my tank, but now I am having some doubts. When I look back, I have used tap water (community treated well water) for 14 years in two different cities in Montana and have only had hair algae once. That was only when I had FOWLR. After repairing, adjusting, and adding equipment, I am switching to a reef and I plan to change the water more often. I like being able to prep the tap water a day before. I’m starting to doubt it will really make a difference in my tank if I produce my own R.O. I am thinking of all the waiting and collecting. Any thoughts? :fish2:

I would not use tap in a reef ...Just my opinion.
All that is needed besides water is in the salt mix.
IMO you were lucky to have only algae problems as many heavy metals are also often present.
For me [ still struggling ] knowing the source water is not part of my problem is a big help.
I know what I am trying to remove in my system..PO4 and NO3 .
I have a float valve in a 32g brute that holds my ro/di water and a 32g brute I mix the water and salt in.
Every time I make new salt water my ro/di barrel fills back up so it is ready when I need it again. I usually let salt mix at least 24 hours ,so even if wanted to go again it ready right then to be mixed.
I have seen fish go sideways and almost die after 6 months in a house with copper pipes..The level grew slowly till almost toxic [FO system] using municipal tap.

Back
Top Bottom