RO water additives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IceMan18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a new 10 gallon planted tank with a betta fish. The only water I can use is RO water. I am on a well and water smells like rotten eggs. (smell of cold water is almost not noticeable but hot water smell disgusting, I was told there are some kind of Iron eating bacteria that are harmless to people but they produce sulfur smelling gas)

Anyway, I know that pure RO water is not ideal for fish.

What additive should I use???

My local fish store recommended Seachem Neutral Regulator.

I am starting a new 10 gallon planted tank with a betta fish. The only water I can use is RO water. I am on a well and water smells like rotten eggs. (smell of cold water is almost not noticeable but hot water smell disgusting, I was told there are some kind of Iron eating bacteria that are harmless to people but they produce sulfur smelling gas)

Anyway, I know that pure RO water is not ideal for fish.

What additive should I use???

My local fish store recommended Seachem Neutral Regulator.

Gypsum / CaSO4 - add 450 mg per gallon = 35ppm Ca
Epsom Salt / MgSO4 - add 575 mg per gallon = 15ppm Mg

KHCO3 - add 200 mg per gallon = 1.5 degrees kH

OR

K2CO3 - add 140 mg per gallon = 1.5 degrees kH

Buy an affordable + calibration friendly scale - say up to 50 grams @ 0.001g increments - from amazon. It will make everything easy and accurate.

Dose these levels into new water only, use pure RO water for top-ups from evaporation. This is the cheapest way to properly remineralize water for a planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom