RO water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychocircus91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In the reef world, tap water is a no-no.
I know the majority of people with planted tanks use tap with a de-chlorinator.
If I choose to use reverse osmosis water, what should I add to it?

If your going with a planted tank and using only RO then Seachems Equalibrium is made for that.

If your going with a planted tank and using only RO then Seachems Equalibrium is made for that.

Thanks. While we're at it, I noticed you previously did not have a carbon system. What is a good liquid source of carbon and what is a good liquid fert?

I don't know about the carbon thing, but I do use 100% ro water. I use seachem equilibrium. I don't have any big complaints but it doesn't add any buffers, so the water is a little more unstable. If you are keeping live bearers, African cichlids, or other harder water species, you might want to add some crushed coral or other buffering solid to keep things stable. I don't do that though and my water chemistry has always been fine so I wouldn't stress it.

I don't know about the carbon thing, but I do use 100% ro water. I use seachem equilibrium. I don't have any big complaints but it doesn't add any buffers, so the water is a little more unstable. If you are keeping live bearers, African cichlids, or other harder water species, you might want to add some crushed coral or other buffering solid to keep things stable. I don't do that though and my water chemistry has always been fine so I wouldn't stress it.

Thanks for the tip. Should have specified though. I'm doing an amazon biotope so I need soft water.

Ahh ok. So yeah just RO and equilibrium should do it. Just a tip, I try an mix the water a day or two before. That way your tank isn't as cloudy when you do the water change. That equilibrium stuff kinda clouds up the water for a little while if you don't.

I use Metricide 14 day solution, glutaraldehyde. It is so much cheaper then Excel or API CO2 booster. Buy 1 gallon for around $20, mix with 1 gallon of RO water and you have 2 gallons of glut that you use the same as Excel. I've used this for years. But if you run a tank with high light, a ton of plants, and or a heavy bio-load you need more Glut dosed daily. If you have specific questions about it's use feel free to PM me.

Back
Top Bottom